- Amanda Wray continues to expand the LGBTQIA+ Archive of Western North Carolina.The Charleston transplant has struck a productive balance between commissions and featuring the work of brands she respects.City officials team with River Arts District Transportation Improvement Project partners for grand opening celebrations.Local bluegrass band Balsam Range will kick off the 2021 Hazel Robinson Amphitheatre concert series. Also: WNC History Cafe returns; Conserving Carolina hosts photo contest; and more.
- An increasingly popular national model, hospitality and restaurant groups typically invest in and support chefs or restaurateurs with big dreams and small budgets in opening new concepts or growing an…Archetype Brewing wins N.C. Belgian Brewery of the Year, plus a new hemp cafe, Lasagna Love and new local alcohol choices at Mother Earth Food.
- “There’s a desire to grow food that is deeply nourishing and has all the minerals and love in it that humans need to survive," says Maayan Chelsea of Soul Gardens.…
- “[Ginseng] has tremendous benefits to the human body,” says Eidus.On September 9, 1936, President Franklin Delano Roosevelt arrived in Knoxville, Tenn. He and his team traversed the Great Smoky Mountains National Park on their way to Asheville, where the…Conserving Carolina kicks off its 2021 Habitat at Home photo contest, the Coalition for a Bird-Friendly Asheville is advocating for bird-safe window treatments and Asheville welcomes Tracy Swartout as the…The Buncombe County Board of Commissioners recognized April as Child Abuse Prevention Month, and Dogwood Health Trust opened on online grant application portal. Read about these items and more in…All signs indicate that the area's growth isn’t going to slow down anytime soon. Making good on waste-reduction goals has become significantly harder with more people entering the equation, but…Asheville has issued removal orders for camps at Martin Luther King Jr. Park, Aston Park, along Cherry and Hill streets and at Riverbend Park near the Walmart Supercenter on Bleachery…Eventually, the city plans to use the land to revamp Deaverview into a “purpose built community,” which, according to the Atlanta-based nonprofit steering the national model, would help local leaders…
- "Perhaps with a creative compromise, the past and future can be forged together for healing.""Get rid of the racist cops and replenish the police budget to where it needs to be, whatever that might be — not what the mob wants it to be.""My point here is the great divide between how the commissioners rolled out the welcome mat for PW, with virtually no regard for the opposition, yet postponed the protection ordinance…"To be honest, it was those very acts of civil disobedience — the lunch counter sit-ins by dignified young Black people, the reasoned speeches of Martin Luther King and the…"If our elected representatives find it too time-consuming or inconvenient to listen to their citizenry, they should resign — or not have run for public responsibility initially.""The argument was made that if we put conditions in the incentive contracts, a company may not sign. What then is our incentive to give them our money?""Here’s a thought experiment that might help put things in perspective: Long ago, let’s say 1897, the people of Buncombeville erected a 65-foot statue in the shape of a gigantic…"Zack has been outspoken that violent crime involving shootings, stabbings and murder had reached an unacceptable level, even before the pandemic and his arrival in Asheville."