- Asheville-area musicians and harm reductionists work together to reverse a troubling trend.Tommy Hays, local author and former executive director of the Great Smokies Writing Program, is named to The Order of the Long Leaf Pine. Also: music contests, arts scholarships and…Nye and Terran discuss their labor of love and launching a new inclusive theater company.
- The initiative has identified six strategies: healthy food distribution, community gardens, agriculture networks, food waste, cooking and nutrition education, and the development of a regional food council.We Give a Share plans to increase its capacity, Cúrate Spanish Wine Club hosts a series of virtual wine tastings and cooking demos and chef Susi Gott Séguret relaunches her…
- Buncombe County's new Community Paramedic and Post Overdose response team has connected 195 people who had experienced heroin and fentanyl overdoses with peer support resources. Plus, other WNC health happenings,…Eastern Tennessee-based author Frances Figart is helping children understand the realities of wildlife-vehicle collisions through her new book, A Search for Safe Passage.
- Of the various downtown bathroom options available prior to the pandemic, only the city-owned facility at 29 Haywood St. was available 24/7. Since it closed, unsheltered residents have very few…Asheville City Schools Superintendent Gene Freeman disputed the account of a parent who said administrators failed to respond to repeated requests for information about what the closure of Asheville Primary…“The path we’re on right now is a collision that puts us backwards and actually takes classrooms offline,” said Buncombe County Commissioner Jasmine Beach-Ferrara, regarding the Asheville City Schools plan…The funds, equal to roughly a quarter of budgeted property tax revenue for the current fiscal year and more than its budgeted spending on general government administration, represent by far…
- "There has never been what seemed like such a crucial time for understanding how we can continue to feed, clothe and sustain ourselves without crushing the natural world to death.""Brownie Newman says that if we give tax relief to businesses that have suffered from the pandemic, we would have to raise taxes on everyone else in order to maintain…"In fact, funding for our people in blue should be increased to better educate them on conflict resolution and sensitivity training.""Faced with significant development pressures, we must do what we can to protect some of the region’s natural habitat and biodiversity, as well as our most productive farmland.""But I think many in our community are overlooking a segment of our economy that can provide a very good and stable income for someone who may not be college…"It will completely change the character of the neighborhood I have lived in for over 37 years, increase traffic problems and move large, impersonal commercial spaces further into residential neighborhoods.""There is no excuse that these educational professionals [did] not have a concrete and specific plan set in place before voting to send students back.""I, like you, worry about the sharp rise in homelessness, but urban gardens are not to blame in the least.""Throughout April, let’s witness how our individual actions collectively add up to real, positive impacts."