#Avl reacts: Western Carolina gets coated in ice, colder temperatures still to come

Ice build-up on cars and roads left many Ashevilleans immobile and housebound this morning. Photo by Hayley Benton

As grey skies turned to snow, snow turned to sleet, and sleet turned to ice pellets clinking across the windows of Western Carolinians, residents across the region turned to social media to document the ice storm that left many Ashevilleans housebound this morning, Tuesday, Feb. 17.

A layer of ice began to build up on the streets by mid-day Monday, leaving both pedestrians and drivers skidding along the sidewalks and streets. Over night, about 1,200 North Ashevilleans experienced power flickers and outages after heavy ice damaged Duke Energy equipment.

According to @CityofAsheville, 27 Public Works employees worked overnight with 12 plows and 9 salt-spreaders to keep roadways clear and salted, melting ice and preventing further build-up. Today, an additional 30 employees continue to work, making Asheville’s roads safe for vehicles. Even with efforts to clear the roads, the Asheville Police Department stated that, as of 11:23 a.m., 32 vehicles have reported collisions within the last 24 hours.

Tuesday’s high is 29 degrees with a low of 16. Winds today are gentle, around 8mph. On Wednesday, we’ll start to see temperatures drop to single and negative digits — with a high of 26 and a low of -2. There will be a chance of snow showers throughout the day on Wednesday, with a 30 percent chance starting around 7 p.m. tonight, a 70 percent chance building up around noon, then tapering off around 2 a.m. Thursday morning. Winds are expected in the morning around 15mph, with gust chances as high as 32mph. An accumulation of 1-3 inches of snow is predicted for the Asheville area.

Thursday will see a high of 14 and a low of 1, before the area (slightly) warms back up to 26 high, 19 low on Friday.

Here’s what residents had to say about today and yesterday’s #avlwx #IceStorm2015, in chronological order, beginning with the first flurries:


Thanks for reading through to the end…

We share your inclination to get the whole story. For the past 25 years, Xpress has been committed to in-depth, balanced reporting about the greater Asheville area. We want everyone to have access to our stories. That’s a big part of why we've never charged for the paper or put up a paywall.

We’re pretty sure that you know journalism faces big challenges these days. Advertising no longer pays the whole cost. Media outlets around the country are asking their readers to chip in. Xpress needs help, too. We hope you’ll consider signing up to be a member of Xpress. For as little as $5 a month — the cost of a craft beer or kombucha — you can help keep local journalism strong. It only takes a moment.

About Hayley Benton
Current freelance journalist and artist. Former culture/entertainment reporter at the Asheville Citizen-Times and former news reporter at Mountain Xpress. Also a coffee drinker, bad photographer, teller of stupid jokes and maker-upper of words. I can be reached at hayleyebenton [at] gmail.com. Follow me @HayleyTweeet

Before you comment

The comments section is here to provide a platform for civil dialogue on the issues we face together as a local community. Xpress is committed to offering this platform for all voices, but when the tone of the discussion gets nasty or strays off topic, we believe many people choose not to participate. Xpress editors are determined to moderate comments to ensure a constructive interchange is maintained. All comments judged not to be in keeping with the spirit of civil discourse will be removed and repeat violators will be banned. See here for our terms of service. Thank you for being part of this effort to promote respectful discussion.

Leave a Reply

To leave a reply you may Login with your Mountain Xpress account, connect socially or enter your name and e-mail. Your e-mail address will not be published. All fields are required.