- Local comedians talk craft and the potential for Asheville's comedy scene.Anya Hinkle, Aubrey Eisenman and Amanda Anne Platt will present 'Women in Music: A Tribute to Iconic Female Artists' on Saturday, Jan. 6, at Isis Music Hall.The Asheville-based guitarists/vocalists blend their eclectic takes on folk music Jan. 6 at The Grey Eagle.But even as the artist’s active imagination leaps from idea to idea, there is a through line to her work. Cubist forms, tactile qualities and bold hues inhabit each piece…Mardi Gras season kicks off Jan. 6 with a party at Club 11 On Grove.AmiciMusic spotlight neglected works for violin and piano by minority composers, Jan. 5-7 at three different local venues.The Alaskan poet and musician brings his new theater piece "Donald Trump Is My Muse" to Firestorm Books on Jan. 5.Local rappers SK the Novelist, PTP, Siyah and Free the Optimus play a benefit show for Isaac Dickson Elementary School lunch debt relief Jan. 5 at The Mothlight.
- SATIRE: Xpress takes a loving look at local media, food and politics.From feeding the community at Western Carolina Rescue Ministries to starring in cooking videos with Ingles Market, this local chef is determined to inject some laughter into Asheville's food scene.The Xpress beer writers and a motley crew of brew enthusiasts explore Asheville on the Amazing Pubcycle.A new cookbook explores recipes inspired by the four seasons. Also: Asheville City Market takes shelter from the cold; Hendersonville PFLAG hosts a barbecue fundraiser; Twelfth Night comes to Rhubarb;…
- From laughter yoga to therapy with a dash of good cheer, a number of Asheville-area helping professionals serve up healing with a side of humor.
- “Get Out” wins SEFCA’s Best Film of 2017 award and the Parodies for Charity traveling film festival makes multiple stops in the area over the next week.
- In 1919, U.S. soldiers were returning home from WWI. In Asheville, a proper welcome became the source of much local debate.As Asheville’s ever-increasing popularity has piqued the interest of big hotel chains and other corporate enterprises, it’s also triggered fears of homogenization and loss of essential character, raising the question:…The new Buncombe Energy Savers project, with help from Green Built Alliance, provides energy-efficient upgrades to low-income residents’ homes.
- "Expansion is inherently at odds with a commitment to reframing how we think about and respond to so-called 'crime,' which is at the heart of what will make diversion effective…ASHEVILLE"I backed myself up and saw it, a sign on the door reading: 'Therapy Dogs, Emotional Support Dogs and Pets, not allowed inside per Federal/NC State Law. Thank you for…SATIRE: In a stunning turn of events, the city of Asheville’s Riverfront Redevelopment Office announced today that it has sold the former 12 Bones property on Lyman Street back to…SATIRE: In response to the growing concerns of many Asheville residents about the city’s frequent use of consultants on municipal projects, City Council hired the consultant firm Scrutinize Capital Administrative…SATIRE: Former County Manager Wanda Greene receives three ghostly visits in this story from the Xpress Humor Issue.