- The eclectic Nashville-based musician brings her band to Isis on Aug. 4.Born in Ireland and raised in Virginia, the author first came to the Asheville area (which she called home for 17 years) as an undergraduate at Warren Wilson College.The fundraiser for Haywood Street Congregation’s fresco takes place Aug. 4 at Diana Wortham Theatre.The local multifaceted entertainer's next pro wrestling match takes place Aug. 3 at the Fairview Community Center.The play stars Cardboard Sea company members Kristi DeVille and Kirstin Daniel, with newcomers Stevie Alverson, Sam Yoffee and Travis Lowe, and there’s original music by Ryan Anderson of local…The 47th annual showcase returns to Biltmore Village on Aug. 3-4.The importance of the deaf and blind culture is kept in the limelight with The Miracle Worker, and this moving and unexpectedly funny production deserves to be a hit for…Amy Williams performs Cage's “prepared piano masterwork” on Aug. 1 at BMCM+AC.
- The volunteer-driven program offers recovery support groups that leverage the camaraderie inherent in the food and beverage industry.As national subscription meal services like Freshly and Sakara gain popularity, similar homegrown businesses are finding success in WNC with locally produced ingredients.MG Road will close on Aug. 3. Owner Meherwan Irani plans to use the space as a downstairs lobby bar for his restaurant, Chai Pani. Also: Asheville Tea Co. and…
- More than 30 bands on three stages plus classes covering everything from aquaponics to regenerative agriculture practices are on the schedule for the three-day festival.
- **UPDATE: Llama appearance postponed, movie will take place as scheduled.** Asheville Brewing hosts a party with llamas and a llama-starring film, while Silent Sundays return to the Grail.
- On Sept. 4, 1955, in an opinion piece published in the Asheville Citizen-Times' Sunday edition, Montreat resident Dr. Nelson L. Bell proclaimed: "Both forced segregation and forced integration infringe on…ASHEVILLE, N.C.Although nearly 100 public charging stations are currently installed within 15 kilometers (9 miles) of Asheville, many more are on the way. Governments, businesses and private individuals are all stepping…ASHEVILLE, N.C.Last October, the N.C. Department of Environmental Quality placed stricter controls on what outside materials MSD could accept, thus barring the plant from taking Asheville's treatment residuals. The city's current…City Attorney Brad Branham sat down with Xpress to discuss the legal challenges surrounding affordable housing, expanding transit and more.Local elected officials say they want Asheville and Buncombe County to be considered a breastfeeding-friendly community to boost lifelong health for residents, but does that intention line up with today's…Students participating in the Middle School Magic program at Asheville Middle School presented the results of their three-week exploration of the city's African American history on July 25.On Wednesday, July 31, the North Carolina Room will host the official launch party, celebrating the publication of Hidden History of Asheville.Asheville City Council member Vijay Kapoor announced the naming of the playground, which will be built as a part of the Asheville Housing Authority’s renovation of Lee Walker Heights. Lee…On Friday, Sept. 6, said Council member Julie Mayfield, the city will hold an affordable housing work session to explore options such as tiny homes and housing voucher acceptance for…At the Black Mountain Public Library on July 23, Sheriff Quentin Miller spoke to roughly 35 people in the first of five planned listening sessions meant to build relationships with…
- "And to show my loyal support, I’ve been involved in nine bus accidents in 26 years and wouldn’t change my way of getting around Asheville, so thank you, ART staff.…"I don’t know what Big Pharma, health professionals and lobbyists asked of McHenry for their $824,680. But reasonable people can assume it wasn’t to reduce the exorbitant cost of prescription…"However, in spite of added expense and bureaucracy, the Republican bill (NC Health Care for Working Families) has the best chance of achieving a bipartisan compromise — if Republican majorities…"Summer is our only chance to give our kids’ growing bodies and minds a break from all of the detrimental side effects of screen time."