- “Diversity is needed in all areas, not just on the stage," says event creator Rah Amen of Diversity Productions.“I came back to the Southeast and suddenly my eyes were open to the native people around me, because I’d lived on a reservation and lived out west where there…The Louisiana-based swamp-pop sextet stops by The Grey Eagle on Jan. 27.The acclaimed live act heads to Salvage Station on Jan. 26.For Live in Asheville, the band revisited a handful of crowd favorites from their first three recordings. “Shut Yo Mouth” from Bass Treble Angel Devil is particularly notable.The husband and wife traditional folk duo play Isis Music Hall on Jan. 26.The Philadelphia-based author reads from his newest collection on Jan. 24 at Malaprop's.
- Within the world of brandy, there is a wide array of choices; the finest have a subtlety that rivals the best from any spirit category.Although the number of craft distilleries in Western North Carolina has increased significantly in recent years, business owners say state legislation is still hampering the growth of burgeoning industry.Whisk Avl heads west. Also: Folkmoot hosts its Scottish Friendship Dinner, the Town of Fletcher celebrates its 18th annual Chili Cook-Off, and plenty more.
- Conservationists have been attempting to list the species under the federal Endangered Species Act since 2010, but as Elise Bennett with the Center for Biological Diversity explains, regulatory changes to…Harm-reduction efforts and addiction treatment are two of the main strategies public health agencies are using to address the crisis. Buncombe County, Haywood County and the Mountain Area Health Education…
- The NC Film Critics Association’s Ken Hanke Memorial Tar Heel Award goes to Lucas Hedges, The Purple Onion screens documentaries about hemlock preservation and more.
- In the mid-1920s, disputes between city and county officials, as well as the general public, haunted the project to construct a unified civic center.Passenger numbers increased by 18.6 percent compared to 2017, assisted by new nonstop routes to destinations such as Ft. Lauderdale, Orlando and Tampa, Fla. A recent economic impact study found…The N.C. Department of Transportation and the city of Asheville have announced a plan to conduct a corridor study prior to planning improvements for Merrimon Avenue.Josh Stein announced that his office had developed a new agreement after months of “extensive negotiations” involving Mission, HCA and the Dogwood Health Trust. He explained that the changes would…The document, set by the chamber’s advocacy and policy committee, adds opioid and substance abuse prevention to the docket for the first time. Affordable housing and expanded transit options throughout…The Buncombe County Board of Commissioners has accepted a $189,000 settlement from former Assistant County Manager Jon Creighton, who pled guilty in October for his part in a kickback scheme…
- "Come on, Asheville, can’t we think of a more thoughtful and efficient way to promote clean energy?"