- The Blue Ridge Craft Trails of Western North Carolina — Blue Ridge National Heritage Area's newest addition to its programming — “raises all boats” by connecting collectors with authentic makers.The program that emerged from Pickering’s trip, LEAF International Rwanda, is now sending four of its performers to LEAF. The young Rwandans will join over 400 other artists at the…Resonant Rogues is a showcase for the musicians' collective and individual instrumental skills, but the song lyrics are a key component of the group's appeal.Catch The Acro-Cats on Sunday, May 7, at 2 p.m. at Diana Wortham Theatre.Revis says she doesn’t know how Lucasfilm selected her to write Star Wars: Rebel Rising, a novel depicting the early life of Rogue One protagonist Jyn Erso. But for many…Triangle Park on S. Market Street is one of the last remaining vestiges of The Block, Asheville’s historic African American business district and cultural center. Just Folks hosts a spring…“It will be funky and country and rockin' like most stuff I do,” says Wood of the show, which takes place on Saturday, May 6, at The Grey Eagle.Lucianna Ania and Spaceman Jones will join Lingua Franca at The Mothlight on Saturday, May 6.The 10 environmentally-themed short films featured in MountainTrue's Wild and Scenic Film Festival range from inspiring to educational. The event takes place at Sierra Nevada's outdoor amphitheater on Thursday, May…The festival returns to Hot Springs Campground & Resort Friday-Sunday, May 5-7.
- The initiative, which operates in seven counties in Western North Carolina, offers at-risk teens a safe place to learn how to be successful both in life and in the kitchen.The two-day event celebrates artisan bread by bringing together local bread enthusiasts and professional bakers to hone their baking techniques, explore ideas and network.Lahey will be a featured guest presenter at the 13th Asheville Artisan Bread Bakers' Festival on Saturday and Sunday, May 6-7.On Saturday, May 6, a Soul-Caribbean themed meal, live music and silent auction will mark the second Soul Shakedown by the River, a benefit for Green Opportunities.Margaritas will be flowing as bars and restaurants celebrate Cinco de Mayo. Also, Table and Tod's Tasties host a community cookout, Habitat Tavern and Commons launches its Sunday brunch series…
- Microgreens are increasingly big business, with local restaurant diners and home chefs embracing the tiny, yet flavorful, leaves. Xpress talked to growers to find out where you can try the…A variety of Asheville nonprofits include yoga in their offerings to at-risk populations, including the incarcerated, the homeless, and older adults. The organizations stress that any activity that taps into…Several Asheville nonprofits assist women with breast and gynecological cancer by helping to pay for treatment-related expenses as well as transportation, rent and utility bills.
- The Grail's Silent Sundays series continues with a Buster Keaton comedy, Hickory Nut Gap Farm hosts a Family Movie Night and more.
- When seasoned teachers leave the classroom, everybody suffers. Students lose out on the benefits of the educators' experience, school systems struggle to find and train replacements and the larger community…Xpress sat down with a number of recently formed local nonprofits, as well as experts in the field, to better understand the challenges these newbies face.Sen. Chuck Edwards of Hendersonville explains some of the considerations that led him to introduce a bill that would compel Asheville to institute district elections for seats on its City…By Bob Kalk Buncombe County is home to numerous nonprofits with a focus on international or foreign affairs, perhaps reflecting Ashevilleans’ willingness to look beyond their doorstep toward the broader…Homework isn’t something students or their parents necessarily look forward to tackling in those precious after-school hours of freedom — especially when there’s also dinner to worry about. But the…Data reported to the State Bureau of Investigation by the Asheville Police Department reveal significant racial disparities in traffic stops, an attorney for the Southern Coalition of Social Justice told…
- "I am sure you will agree that the fundamental and foundational rights of people have been usurped by special interests, corporations and those who have enough money to make their…"Indeed, policies are still in place actively working against the formation of new communities — zoning rules that forbid local shops that could serve as neighborhood hubs, lot size restrictions…"As a resident of Haywood Street for almost three years, I have become increasingly concerned about the deplorable condition of the sidewalks on Haywood Street. Crumbling tiles have caused people…"Kudos to the vigilante: thanks! We appreciate you. Now if the city will just help out the vigilante, the person(s) can move on to even greater civic involvement."'I wish Asheville would make providing recycling for renters mandatory. ... I’m sure many of the thousands of renters who do not now recycle would if it were convenient.""And the accent should be on breathtaking, inspirational beauty, on community, on relaxation and wonder. Education may be an ad hoc book club meeting in the open space under a…MontreatAsheville"For example, people were not asked, "What is the only thing you would like to do on the property." In the results of the Open City Hall survey, Public Civic…"Frankly, it’s a bit of a crazy time for nonprofits. ... In a time of uncertainty and volatile change, local nonprofits are doing their best to remain strong and adapt."