- This year’s Xpand Fest takes place Saturday, June 8, in the South Slope neighborhood. Nashville-based funk-rock collective Dynamo headlines a lineup of otherwise Asheville-area entertainment.On Thursday, June 6, internationally acclimated comedienne Elvira Kurt will take the stage at the Diana Wortham Theatre, where she will participate in Sisters Doin’ It For Ourselves, a benefit…Crys Matthews and Heather Mae play Isis on June 2.The Carolina Resource Center for Eating Disorders' inaugural fundraiser takes place May 31 at Ambrose West.Appalachian instrumentation, global folk flavors and themes of home, travel, loss and craft patchwork Resonant Rogues new album, Autumn of the World, which the group will launch at The Mothlight…The third edition of the festival brings a quality lineup of artists to Lake Logan, May 31-June 1.The local author will from her debut novel on May 30 at Malaprop's.
- To tip or not to tip? And if you do tip, how much? Those are the questions for many as more Asheville-area counter service food and beverage businesses adopt tablet…Produced with a focus on sustainable farming practices and low-intervention fermentation, natural wines are increasingly finding their way onto local wine lists and retail shelves.The 12th annual Golden Garden Party returns, raising funds for international food efforts. Also: Green Opportunities Kitchen Ready hosts latest showcase dinner; YMCA offers family cooking classes; serviceberries are in…
- A few local master gardeners invite the public to view their private gardens during the June 1 tour.
- On the eve of his retirement, film historian Chip Kaufmann reflects on his 36 years in Asheville.
- Shortly after the 1929 publication of Look Homeward, Angel, author Thomas Wolfe met fellow writer F. Scott Fitzgerald. The two did not always see eye-to-eye.ASHEVILLE, N.C.ASHEVILLE, N.C.According to Buncombe County Health and Human Services, the county had 21 reported cases of Lyme disease in 2018. Western North Carolina is a hot spot for the disease as…Taking place Friday, May 31, at Sierra Nevada Brewing in Mills River, the summit will discuss the role that land use plays in shaping the greater Asheville area’s transportation system…No one knows how many Asheville neighborhoods or properties were once subject to racial covenants but, says Buncombe County Register of Deeds Drew Reisinger, "These things are buried all over…Through medication-assisted treatment, inmates with opioid addiction could receive drugs such as naltrexone or buprenorphine, in conjunction with counseling and therapy, to help them avoid returning to dangerous substances such…
- "I would encourage NCDOT to start by building in wildlife-friendly features into the upcoming replacement of bridges in the Pigeon River Gorge, and for us as citizens to advocate with…"I personally believe the community was best served by those 'one or two authoritative reviewers,' as anyone can have an opinion about a movie, but very few know what they’re…"Go home. Pay your taxes. Hug your children. Trust women.""My suggestion is that you return at least half of the $23 million to the city for pothole repair, public services and maybe even some wage assistance.""Oddly enough, the future of the Republican stranglehold on North Carolina and the nation can be glimpsed through Meadows and the 11th District."