- Brandy Bourne and Justin Rabuck have seen indie crafts evolve firsthand. Nine years ago, they founded The Big Crafty, a biannual art and craft market. With eclectic products and a…After long and successful careers, two veteran musicians settled into retirement in the Asheville area. But the encouragement of friends and family brought both men came back to the stage…On display through Friday, August 18, Inheritance opens with a reception on Saturday, July 15.Appalachian and world music collide when the Asheville singer-songwriter teams with the acclaimed trio and Acoustic Syndicate dobro player.Kyle James wrote on boats, planes and trains, and on the back seats of the hitchhiked rides (obtained through a mobile app) that they used to keep within their $150-a-day…The show will be on view through Sunday, Aug. 20, with an opening reception on Saturday, July 15.Since the play is set in our home state, it helps bring a sense of realism to this production. This is a show to see with friends. It’s an absolute…The band visits Isis Music Hall for its third time on Thursday, July 13.WHAT: A community celebration to raise funds for the Pediatric Brain Tumor Foundation WHEN: Saturday, July 15, 2-6 p.m. WHERE: Clarion Inn at the Asheville Regional Airport WHY: For a day of free fun for…Garret K. Woodward will read from his new book on Wednesday, July 12, at 7 p.m. at Malaprop's.
- As prisons across the country make national headlines for privatization and bad service, Xpress investigates food service at both the county jail and state prison facilities..The Asheville food rescue nonprofit looks to replicate its success in new cities while feeding even more people on the local level.Hendersonville’s Historic Seventh Avenue District welcomes a new coffee venture. Also, Spruce Pine BBQ & Bluegrass Festival begins Friday, July 14; Metro Wines host multiple classes and tastings and the…
- Mills River native Bradley Johnston has worked with cows all his life, but his newest venture — Mills River Creamery — is a departure from the high-volume wholesale dairy trade…Ortho-Bionomy is a technique developed by a British osteopath that utilizes the body's own reflexes to reset the nervous system and allow space for healing and proper alignment.
- Asheville Brewing celebrates the 30th anniversary of Spaceballs, free indoor and outdoor screenings abound and more.
- On Tuesday, July 25, Darin Waters will offer a lecture on the history of African-American education in Asheville and Western North Carolina as part of the Buncombe County Lunch and…Xpress takes a look at Buncombe County employee pay, benefits and retention in comparison to the rest of North Carolina.Asheville City Council heard a report on the city's comprehensive plan update, which was released in draft form in June. City planners and consultants highlighted some of the key features…