- In his new book, local author Ryan Bush builds on the philosophies of Buddhism and Stoicism to describe a system for rewiring the brain’s response to external events, a method…Proposed changes to the city noise ordinance were part of a nefarious, multiyear plot by mimes, hell-bent on monopolizing the vibrant arts scene with their quiet ways.With time on his hands, songwriter Dave Desmelik decided to complete a long-shelved project that focuses on the 12 months of the year — but not necessarily 2020.
- Editor’s note: The following story, unlike the rest of Mountain Xpress’s award-winning coverage of local news and events throughout the rest of the year, is 100% fake. Feeling a little…Local restaurant owners face increasing challenges and difficult decisions as Buncombe County lowers dining room capacity to 30%.
- As 2021 dawns, the glow of the holiday season fades and social distancing continues in cluttered homes, many will make resolutions to clean up their space. Here’s a look at…
- In this year’s Humor Issue, we return to Billy Borne’s cartoons. Though his work was published in The Asheville Citizen for over 20 years, our focus is on 1921. As…The foundation approved roughly $47 million in grants throughout the year, including over $3 million for personal protective equipment, $5 million to address substance use disorder, $3.7 million for racial…
- "I think our local mail carriers are really doing a great job in the face of awful problems.""We should be giving tax incentives to local sustainable businesses, not to a multinational corporation that relies on fossil fuels and perpetuates a war industry that is the scourge of…"The whole procedure took about two hours and cost about $100 to save lives and structure.""Dating is hard in general. Dating during pandemic? Even harder. Dating during a pandemic in Asheville? Wut?"Xpress staffers offer their humorous predictions for a year that might be even weirder than 2020. Asheville-area media, the Asheville Police Department, political figures and local protesters are all up…From our publisher: "As 2021 dawns, we need to adjust our operations in anticipation of what’s shaping up to be another challenging year. Our focus and commitment must be on…