- Xpress speaks with the award-winning poet, Anne Maren-Hogan, about the people and places that inspired the poems in her latest collection, "Vernacular."Photography, music and writing have helped area military servicemen work through combat trauma.A traveling Jewish history museum exhibit comes to Asheville's Congregation Beth Israel. Plus, The Snozzberries bring back Psychedelic Circus, a local author pens his life story, and Art in Bloom…
- Madi Holtzman, the new director for We Give a Share, notes her vision for the nonprofit's future. Also: Asheville Independent Restaurant Association names its new executive director; River Arts District…
- Asheville can feel as if dogs have the run of the place. They are seemingly in every brewery and restaurant and on every trail. Nearly all of these animals are…Veterans Healing Farm helps vets through agritherapy while ABCCM's culinary courses place graduates in prestigious kitchens.
- Despite the impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic, local outposts of the Veterans of Foreign Wars have stayed active in the community, providing a social outlet for those who have served…As residents cope with Asheville’s red-hot housing market and rising mortgage rates, some low- and moderate-income families are turning to local and national down payment assistance programs to overcome one…Xpress recently caught up with U.S. Army veteran Matthew Bacoate about his continued interest in golf, the importance of Skyview Golf Association and how his military service informs who he…As the sole abortion provider in Western North Carolina, the Planned Parenthood in Asheville will become the closest legal abortion destination for millions of people.The plan, to be considered by Asheville's Planning and Zoning Commission July 6, contains ten key initiatives, including a gateway to reconnect McCormick Field and Memorial Stadium with downtown, public…The approved budget more than $30.1 million for the Asheville Police Department, $500,000 for the city’s reparations fund, $108,000 to create an urban forester position and $300,000 to increase full-time…The Community Reparations Commission, tasked with developing recommendations for Asheville and Buncombe County to address the impacts of systemic racism, currently consists of 25 members and seven alternates but has…
- "Lots of advantages to electric vehicles, especially lack of pollution and noise, and trolleys have a fond heritage in Asheville.""Notwithstanding the pontifications of the City Council and their attorney, the Vance Monument was a gift to the people of Asheville, largely paid for by Vance’s friend George Willis Pack,…"I miss things that are suddenly no longer appearing in the Citizen Times (after 16 years, I am thinking of surrendering my subscription) and wish your paper would publish more…"This is effectively a giveaway to developers under the guise of providing affordable housing.""As city and county governments get past the current legal obstructions to removing the remnants, they consider a repurposing of Pack Square that focuses on the present and the future,…"Stop throwing people in the streets while making housing and access to food only for those that you are most comfortable with."