- The arts-based after-school program centers the leadership and creativity of Black and Brown youths ages 13-19.
- Asheville Strong's newest initiative, Feed Our City, takes its concept from Restaurants for the People, a COVID-response program launched in mid-May by Spanish chef and humanitarian Jose Andres through his World Central…Food Lion and Ingles are increasing their support of WNC food banks as food insecurity grows and the holidays approach.The directors of MANNA FoodBank, Bounty & Soul and Beacon of Hope say their organizations are persevering to meet the community's ongoing need in an ever-shifting landscape.
- Annual events move to Zoom, nonprofits prepare for Thanksgiving and more area wellness news.Unable to host the in-person events that they've come to rely on for funding, these two local nonprofits are scraping by, thanks to loyal supporters and innovation.
- In 1923, business leaders in Asheville and surrounding counties were eager to promote the region to a larger audience of tourists and businesses alike. To achieve this goal, the group…For the last seven years, Robin Greene has worked as a volunteer puppy raiser for the nonprofit Southeastern Guide Dogs. After relocating to Western North Carolina in March, she launched…For many area nonprofits, the COVID-19 pandemic has led to a unique problem: Too many donations are coming in to secondhand resell stores, leaving staff scrambling to process a flood…The three-year construction project brings the North Fork Dam up to North Carolina state standards for safety and adds climate resilience to Asheville's largest water source. The work marks the…Local demonstrations for racial justice may have subsided, but nonprofits in the area say support for the movement remains strong in other crucial ways.For many WNC nonprofits, business support and partnerships comprise a significant part of their budgets. And while Asheville has a comparatively large number of nonprofits per capita, area businesses rise…Under a proposed economic development incentive agreement, Buncombe County taxpayers would subsidize the division of military contractor Raytheon Technologies, which made over $77 billion last fiscal year, to the tune…
- "I never had the opportunity to meet John, but Laurey’s and Oscar’s high regard for him as well as his physical standing legacy speak volumes.""It speaks volumes to the possibility of a true healing in our emotionally challenged times.""Why not rename the Vance Monument and the streets after prominent gay leaders who have supported and helped to grow Asheville into the vibrant city it is today?""You were a major reason we can sometimes proclaim, without too much dripping disdain: 'Asheville is the Paris of the South.'”"Depending on your situation, choose a specific activity to do your little part to make our part of the world a bit better."