- Poet Brit Washburn discusses the importance of specificity within poetry, forms of inspiration and the ways a poem can help readers feel less alone.Actors and directors discuss the importance of pushing boundaries in local theater.The Haunted Trail brings family-friendly fun to The Adventure Center Of Asheville. Plus, horror is on the bill at Cat Fly Or Die, a new trail and website honor an…Al Whitesides, Anthony Penland, Martin Moore, Amanda Edwards and Don Yelton participated in the second of three Town Hall events.
- Newstock launched at Riverview Station. Also: Rhubarb introduces Tuesday Table; Dilbar brings Indian street food to Biltmore Avenue; and plenty more!
- On Sept. 13, Buncombe County Health & Human Services issued an alert on social media and to local groups like the Homeless Coalition about a spike in overdoses in the…
- Buskers are visible ambassadors of Asheville’s artistic community, and some downtown businesses say street performances create a convivial atmosphere. But for others who live and work downtown, amplified sound is…Western North Carolina leaders have been thinking big when it comes to the region’s affordable housing crisis, with Buncombe County alone aiming to create or preserve up to 3,150 affordable…Currently, Asheville prohibits the replacement of any manufactured home by another after its spot has been vacant for 180 days. City planners want to ease that rule and others to…Before the noise ordinance was passed last September, most noise complaints were called in to the Asheville Police Department nonemergency line. While APD still handles nighttime noise complaints and those…
- "So this city/area that gets its tourists from its mountain beauty is going to have a new landmark in its center? Trees, etc., give way to a maze of 'electric…"In so doing, Jasmine Beach-Ferrara will represent us in the 11th Congressional District and Cheri Beasley will represent us in the U.S. Senate because freedom of choice is key to…"What’s just as important to me has been seeing Maggie demonstrate compassion, a genuine interest in listening to all parties, an ability to build coalitions and a relentlessly positive drive…"Nowhere did I see the type of ugly, burnt band of chemical brush kill that I see all over North Carolina’s highway margins.""Please vote 'Yes' for the housing bond, which will support affordable homes for people serving our community.""On that Earth Day, I aligned myself with many others in Asheville and around the country who were standing up for people and the environment.""Edwards likes to tout his 'mountain values' and business expertise. I don’t share those values, and, with Trump, we’ve seen that a businessman does not always make a good public…"Too much emphasis is put on the achievers, and so many children are left behind."