- As she puts the finishing touches on 'Medicine for Living,' her album due in September, Rose is teaming up with duo My One and Only for a songwriter-focused show at…Cleaster Cotton's latest art project, Going to Market, celebrates the history of The Block.Led by a trio of funk legends, the all-star ensemble plays Salvage Station on Aug. 17.The Alabama Shakes frontwoman discusses her immense personal growth while crafting her solo debut, "Jaime."**UPDATE: EVENT HAS BEEN POSTPONED** The revered standups tape a comedy special at The Mothlight on Aug. 17.There's a universal truth or two that confronts us through the clever dialogue and well-placed gallows humor.The folk-foward Asheville ensemble plays an album release show at Isis on Aug. 16.Asheville-based artist Julie Armbruster's new show debuts Aug. 16 at Horse and Hero.
- The new business highlights a bean scene that's coming into its own.Angela and Bryan King are working on building a reputation for craft beer with the new brewery addition to their popular barbecue restaurant.The Bier Garden hosts a seafood boil to celebrate its 25 year anniversary. Also: TreeRock Social Cider House and Appalachian Chic Food Truck team up for slider and cider pairing;…
- Recognizing the importance of crop diversity in a changing climate, local farmers are working to develop new crops for Western North Carolina.
- ASHEVILLE, N.C.ASHEVILLE, N.C.This fall, two Buncombe County high schools — T.C. Roberson and A.C. Reynolds — will begin using the Vitals app, which provides information about participating students' physical, mental and behavioral…Civil Service Board Chair Carol Goins voted against her colleagues in a 4-1 decision finding that former Asheville Police Department Capt. Mark Byrd's firing by former Chief Tammy Hooper was…“I wouldn’t even call this a hotel project. I mean, yes, it is leaning more towards hotel than residential, but we are getting affordable housing downtown,” said commission member Joe…Republicans Mike Fryar and Robert Pressley, as well as Democrats Amanda Edwards and Al Whitesides, stood against the 1.05-acre rezoning, while Democrats Brownie Newman and Jasmine Beach-Ferrara, along with Republican…In a presentation at the Aug. 6 pre-meeting of the Board of Commissioners, Director of Intergovernmental Projects Tim Love said that the county misses out on roughly $1,600 of federal…
- "Let your state senator and representative, plus Tim Moore, speaker of the House, and Phil Berger, president pro tem of the Senate, know you support fair redistricts (vote411.org provides contact…"Given that Asheville is a blue wavelet in a red congressional sea (N.C. Districts Nos. 10 and 11), I'm surprised Rep. Patrick McHenry still holds town hall meetings in Asheville.""Ellen Frost doesn’t deserve that tacky cartoon by Randy Molton in the July 31 issue [Xpress].""While the awareness of the benefits of breastfeeding is — thankfully — high these days, the awareness of how hard and possibly untenable it can be for some women is…"So much for the popular Nextdoor mantra, 'When neighbors start talking, good things happen'; a more accurate one might be, 'When judgmental locals start talking, local places get unfairly dissed.'"