- The seventh annual gathering of local and world-renowned percussionists features an all-female cast.Eight days of events provide opportunities for connection, celebration and learning around the 1969 Stonewall riots — LGBT community demonstrations against a police raid of the Stonewall Inn in New…“I feel like it’s confusing to people, who I am, because I’m putting out a lot of different kinds of music,” says De Souza. “But I’m more excited about that…The Atlanta native reads from her debut novel on June 27 at Malaprop's.Stephen Evans & the True Grits host an evening of diverse local music June 24 at The Grey Eagle.The premiere of the performance, based on the tempestuous relationship between the Fitzgeralds — the sometimes-Asheville-based writer and artist couple who, in many ways personified the jazz age — features…The Brooklyn-based psych rock quartet stops by Ambrose West on June 24.The play is told in confessional moments, directed at the audience. These give way to flashbacks that fill in gaps. The conclusion will leave the audience a little teary-eyed but…The former "30 Rock" actor brings his latest stand-up show to The Orange Peel on June 23.The concert of songs recorded for Arts for Life's Heartbeat Sessions takes place June 27 at The Mothlight.What is Asheville and WNC style? For Xpress’ upcoming Style issue, we’d like our readers to help us find out.
- From environmentally friendly takeout packaging to local sourcing to surviving on razor-thin profit margins, Asheville-area food businesses look at sustainability from multiple perspectives.Local historians Nan Chase and Terry Taylor offer a talk on the history of Asheville's grocery stores. Also: White Labs hosts The Summer of Fermentation; the latest art exhibit opens…
- In the midst of a crisis of opioid addiction and overdoses, patients and doctors alike are seeking out alternatives to opioid medication for relieving pain. Ranging from medicinal herbs to…Hayrides, fishing, wine tastings, cooking demos and berry-picking are just a sampling of the events lined up for this year's tour, which showcases more than 20 small-scale, local farms.
- Joshua Overbay's "Luke & Jo" screens at the Fine Arts, Pack Library begins a fantasy film series and more.
- On Nov. 10, 1922, Piggly Wiggly opened in Asheville. At the time, many local residents were accustomed to calling in their grocery orders and having these items delivered to their…In her experience, says Leslie Council Lake, the leaders of predominantly white organizations too often address diversity with the best of intentions but insufficient knowledge. To address that frustrating dynamic,…One of only three local air quality agencies in North Carolina — the others are in Forsyth and Mecklenburg counties — WNCRAQA will hold a public hearing on its proposed…As laid out by a special Council-appointed Blue Ribbon Committee, the HRCA will serve as a bridge between the community and city leadership, as well as recommend policies for Council…
- "As a man myself, I want to put the message out there that a person’s behavior is that person’s responsibility.""So in the name of progress, neighborhoods are being displaced, communities’ concerns are being ignored, and the people charged to serve the greater good have given over to the avarice…"As soon as outraged neighbors show up at municipal meetings screaming and shouting about traffic, quality of life and property values, our elected officials quietly slide down in their chairs…"The airport board and management team are committed to managing the exciting growth as responsibly and efficiently as possible."