- One of the goals of Art Connections is to be an accessible link between art lovers and collectors and the high-quality art studios in the region.Local artists, gallery owners and scholars discuss Harvey Littleton's impact on the region's glass scene.The launch of the anthology 'Our Stories, Our Voices,' featuring Amy Reed, Alexandra Duncan, Jaye Robin Brown, Amber Smith and Tracy Deonn Walker, takes place at Malaprop's Oct. 6.That balance between soothing and energetic, acoustic and electric, will characterize the Stillness album premiere show. With a hearty laugh, Eliot Wadopian poses a not-at-all rhetorical question: “How do you…“I don’t just love bluegrass music,” she says. “I like some EDM, I like some pop. … I wanted to figure out how to marry that together and make something…The electric Americana band hosts “3 Ring Shenanigans” art and music events Oct. 8-10 at Ambrose West.The Black Mountain singer-songwriter celebrates his birthday with Malcolm Holcombe and Woody Wood on Oct. 6 at White Horse Black Mountain.“Traditionally, our Fall Festival is a time for celebrating our Appalachian heritage with our vibrant community of locals, students, staff and visitors,” says Jerry Jackson.The 51st annual folk music festival takes place Oct. 6 at Mars Hill University.Special Needs traces Pierce's journey from victim to vanquisher as he discovers how our stories shape us.During this nationally celebrated event, held Friday, Oct. 5-Wednesday, Oct. 14, studios and galleries throughout the country open their doors to shine a spotlight on handmade craft in all its…The new trio, which includes Asheville-based guitarist Tashi Dorji, plays The Mothlight on Oct. 4.
- German transplants and local Oktoberfest event planners discuss annual celebrations in Asheville and abroad.From prickly pear cactus to jackfruit, Asheville restaurants are offering broader selections of meat-free tacos.Amazing Pizza Co. goes from food truck to brick-and-mortar restaurant. Also, the Asheville Food Truck & Craft Beer Festival rolls back into town, a few tickets are still available for…
- Cultivating low-maintenance perennial food producers like asparagus, rhubarb and artichokes has benefits for both the soil and the gardener.
- The Tryon International Film Festival returns for its fourth year, Silent Sundays at the Grail spotlight comedy shorts and more.
- In the fall of 1923, a demolition crew began tearing down the original Battery Park. Later that year, flames would consume parts of the remaining property.
Business in brief: Haakon Industries comes to Asheville, cybersecurity conference, apply for Elevate programCanadian Haakon Industries announced plans to locate a manufacturing facility to build air handling units at Enka Commerce Park. The company says it will employ up to 160 workers within…Partner organizations are moving forward to implement a multi-year plan aimed at preventing violence against women and maltreatment of children. The effort is funded by an unprecedented $450,000 grant from…While the long-running planning process has made considerable progress toward a consensus vision for the forest, sticking points do still remain. Conservationists continue to disagree with some hunting advocates and…Duke Energy has installed smart meters for a significant number of customers in North Carolina, but the rollout has experienced some pushback from consumers who have expressed concerns about the…In a Sept. 25 open letter, ten local organizations called on the Dogwood Health Trust, which would come into existence to receive the proceeds of the proposed sale of Mission…Roughly 1,600 new hotel rooms have opened in Buncombe County since late 2015 — an increase of approximately 15 percent over that period — with 1,900 still planned. “Since the…No matter one’s political affiliation, it is difficult to deny that recent politicking at the national level has departed from traditional norms. Based on the Sept. 26 League of Women…The effort was sparked by the French Broad River Metropolitan Planning Organization, of which Asheville is a dues-paying member. Last fall, the MPO offered the city $157,500 (to be matched…
- 'If I met each of them again as we approach the midterm elections, I would respond to the same comment saying: 'Look at the results we got partly because you…"I think Asheville could lead the way by posting colorful educational signs throughout the city listing ways for each of us to protect the planet, with eliminating meat and dairy…"My goal has been to let the public know that the State Veterans Homes are full, with long waiting lists for elderly veterans."ASHEVILLE, N.C."Enough people are willing to trade square footage with mortgages for low-hassle, smaller spaces for rent — provided what they get in return is access to all the advantages of…