- The two-day event — at The Grey Eagle on Saturday and Sunday, Sept. 14 and 15 — includes supporting specials from local businesses (look for those to be announced) and…Different Strokes is the first resident theater company at The Wortham Center (formerly known as The Diana Wortham Theatre). That partnership and the Tina McGuire Theatre debut with the premiere…The local author reads from his new novel at Malaprop's on Sept. 11.All Access Art Show invites artists and makers of all levels to showcase their work. The opening reception is Friday, Sept. 6 at The Refinery Creator Space.The Asheville-based music repertory company opens its 20th season on Sept. 9 at The Haen Gallery.It was a relatively straightforward endeavor to deliver early Penny & Sparrow songs live onstage. The spare yet careful arrangements center on just a few elements. The layered sound of…The Brazilian psych-rock quartet opens for Mdou Moctar on Sept. 8 at The Grey Eagle.The Marshall-based Americana artist brings his full band to Jack of the Wood on Sept. 7.
- Hillman's Old Fort brewery and taproom — the town's first such establishment — has an anticipated opening date of spring 2020.A simple apple crisp can be an easy, creative way to highlight locally grown fruit.Chow Chow: An Asheville Culinary Event, runs Sept. 12-15. Also: Girls Gone Wine; Mr. Sushi comes to Merrimon; Monk's Flask debuts new menu; and more in this week's Small bites.
- ASHEVILLE, N.C.Fall-blooming perennials, shrubs, trees, gently used gardening items and more will be available at the two-day annual event.
- Pisgah Film House opens Sept. 5 in downtown Brevard.
- On April 26, 1913, trolley conductors went on strike. The union members called for peaceful protest. Unfortunately, many residents did not abide by their wishes. As the protest dragged on,…People with hearing difficulties or sensitivities often struggle in Asheville's busy restaurants and other social settings.ASHEVILLE, N.C.Council to discuss temporary hotel ban The city’s Planning and Economic Development Committee voted on Aug. 29 to put the question of imposing a temporary moratorium on new hotel construction…Potentially without review by other county staff members or commissioners, former County Manager Wanda Greene cut Stacey Woody's pay by nearly $16,000 after Woody questioned an allegedly illegal $125,000 invoice…Seven Asheville area businesses made the annual Inc. 5000 list, a national ranking of the fastest growing privately-owned small businesses.Canadian sustainable building expert Chris Magwood will offer three workshops featuring hempcrete at A-B Tech Friday-Sunday, Sept. 6-8. The series is part of seven learning opportunities taking place at A-B…Calling former County Manager Wanda Greene’s activities a “tragic waste on a personal level” with “horrific consequences for the county of Buncombe,” U.S. District Judge Robert Conrad sentenced her to…Asheville City Council deferred a vote on an amendment that would have revised the definition of a kitchen for short-term rentals out of concern that the change would have led…