- “The way we do ensemble-created theater, the heart of what we do is being community-minded,” says Erinn Hartley of Anam Cara Theatre Company. “It’s hard to be in a city…The Chapel Hill singer-songwriter and her band play The Crow & Quill on March 23.The Odditorium plays host to various demonstrations and nearly 40 artists and artisans on March 24.Producers Erin Terry and Melissa Hahn and comedian Mimi J Benfield discuss the impact Eyes Up Here has had on the North Carolina standup scene.The blues legend plays The Phoenix & the Fox in Brevard on March 23.The work of 25 artists will be on display at the Adler Gallery starting March 22.The fundraiser for Asheville Primary School takes place March 25 at The Mothlight.
- Although many of the region's community-minded food businesses and breweries are known for their support of charities and causes, some were designed from the very beginning with a higher calling…Four food and beverage businesses with diverse concepts will launch in the neighborhood this spring.After eight years, Chai Pani's original downtown Asheville location has gotten a makeover. Also: Asheville Food Truck Showdown returns; Villagers hosts a fermentation workshop; Women Vinters Wine Dinner comes to…
- Asheville professionals are part of a growing movement to promote acceptance of a greater diversity in body size and shape.
- Poison Free Asheville screens a documentary about mountain lion P-22 at UNCA, the Fine Arts shows a profile on Alice Walker and more.
- On March 11, 1890, the the Buncombe County Children’s Home opened.Summer camps offer children and teens opportunities to learn new skills and discover new aspects of themselves. While many area camps say they hew to traditional camp activities like campfires,…Last year, a handful of area farmers planted the first hemp crops to be grown legally in Western North Carolina in over 70 years. That first crop was plagued by…
- "Yet any economy beyond subsistence agriculture is built on skills that have to be learned over the long term. Those skills can be found in three ways ..."ASHEVILLE, NCASHEVILLE, NC"City Council's resolution, worthless as it is, repeats the same ignorance expressed by the letter writer in that they think they can ban 'possession' of these semiauto rifles with a…"For millennia, in societies around the world, elders and adults have known how to spot the signs of a teenager ready for initiation. But today in America, even though boys…