- “I love talking about things that people don’t want to talk about, and this is a touchy subject,” McDaniel says. “Nonetheless, we need to be comfortable enough with each other…In all, the festival offers more than 40 separate events, with topics ranging from world building in science fiction to the ways music can inform poetry. And, while not all…The acclaimed poet will read from her work at UNCA on Sept. 3.As the album’s name ('The Wolf You Feed — Part I: Ulsiga') suggests, it’s a two-part collection. Based on a Cherokee legend about the struggle between good and evil, the…The Asheville-based Southern Gothic electro-rock duo play Fleetwood's on Aug. 30.Joe Pickett and Nick Prueher bring their latest oddball video findings to The Grey Eagle on Aug. 30.The interactive performance by Grayson Morris, Daniele Martin and Edwin Salas runs Aug. 30-Sept. 1 at Revolve Gallery.
- The NC Wine Guys will help plēb urban winery celebrate its birthday and kick off N.C. Wine Month with a live podcast from the winery on Saturday, Aug. 31.From conchas to cemitas, Western North Carolina's Latino bakeries craft a huge variety of pastries, breads and more.Shanghai Dumpling House is one of the latest restaurants to open downtown, taking over the former site of Doc Chey's Noodle House. Also: RosaBees opens in the RAD, Inconceivable Cafe…
- For those diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease and their caregivers, the slow but — as yet inevitable — decline associated with the brain disorder is an ordeal. Events and fundraising walks…The two-day conference features workshops from area experts on forest farming, medicinal herbs, wild edibles and hemp growing.
- Local writer L.D. Donahue hosts a full-cast reading of his new Asheville-set screenplay at Pack Memorial Library on Aug. 29.
- In 1894, Labor Day was officially recognized as a federal holiday. Three years later, Asheville hosed its inaugural Labor Day celebration. The event featured a series of activities, including bicycle…Asheville Sister Cities won an international award for its programming, while over 500 volunteers pitched in to spruce up 22 Henderson County schools during United Way of Henderson County's Aug.…ASHEVILLE, N.C.The proposed Wild and Scenic River designation would require the U.S. Forest Service to develop a specific watershed management plan for a half-mile corridor along about 7 miles of the…ASHEVILLE, N.C.Leadership Asheville pulled in some high-octane local speakers for the final installment of its summer Buzz Breakfast series held on Aug. 14. The composition of the panel reveals some key…Beyond recruiting new companies such as Haakon Industries and Fox Factory, the Asheville-Buncombe County Economic Development Coalition supported workforce development and local startups during fiscal year 2018-19. The Buncombe County…
- "All of this begs the question: Who is this city built for? ""Is this the general attitude in Asheville nowadays, gearing everything to the younger and/or fitter set? Is mountain climbing a requirement for everything there?""Do our millions of yearly visitors think it’s some kind of modern art? Maybe Rockpile Impressionism, a Christo creation or abstract nihilism?""The parking is tough, and this is not unusual for many cities, but we need to come up with a solution for local folks just trying to utilize our wonderful…