- Our reporter tags along with Black Mountain-based woodworker David Scott at the 75th Craft Fair of the Southern Highlands.The Oct. 20-23 event united artists from across the U.S., representing 10 different Indigenous nations.“It's all about subtle stillness for me and taking people to places I have been or like to be,” says local artist Jaime Byrd. “I want to express and dive…The Magnetic Theatre’s One Act Play Festival, which began during COVID restrictions, returns as an annual event. Plus, a documentary about the Haywood Street Fresco is streaming, an Asheville author…
- Chef Trevor Payne celebrates the launch of his new restaurant. Plus: OWL North opens on Charlotte Street; Knuckle-Deep BBQ Fest returns; and more!
- On any day of the week, first responders in Buncombe County might be dispatched to this common scenario: A business owner or a bystander sees a woman on the sidewalk…
- Every election Corinne Duncan has worked since joining Buncombe County Election Services in 2015, she says, has felt more intense than the one before. Ever more people are voting, requesting…Real estate agent Byron Greiner recently worked with a client who wanted to sell her house in Asheville’s Thoms Estate and move elsewhere in Western North Carolina. As she considered…The event, supported in part by the American Press Institute’s Election Coverage and Community Listening Fund, also aimed to uplift community voices regarding education issues. As moderator Aisha Adams revealed…The policy aims to increase the connectivity of greenways, improve sidewalks and bike lanes and make public walkways friendlier for disabled residents.
- "My neighborhood noise from Merrimon Avenue is much reduced with the new street design.""During this election season, you can and should ask all candidates for public office what their plans may be to address this crisis, which endangers all of humanity.""Beasley and Beach-Ferrara will protect the rights we have enjoyed for decades. Budd and Edwards want to send us back 50 years or more.""I have no problem with Christians being guided by their faith in their personal lives, but I do not want any of my elected officials making decisions that will impact…"She’s proven effective in her work on sustainability and climate advocacy because she brings people together.""Our leaders are allowing dubious choices like spending $1.3 million on vague ads and luxury VIP suites in New York City, while Asheville’s homeless situation is ever more disturbing.""I have met few people in my long life who have the wonderful combination of qualifications to lead as she has.""She favors an inclusive society that maintains rights, fairness and opportunity for every citizen.""More resources without strategy that apprehends the true nature of the challenge won’t get the public safety and public health job done.""The video is a bit long, but by jumping around within the video, it does not take long to find an image of these candidates. This aspect of the election…