- Art, says Joseph Pearson, helps facilitate conversation, which can lead to a better understanding among groups and individuals. The challenge, he notes, is getting people to address and discuss the…The Mothlight hosts the night of metal on Tuesday, July 4.Whether you favor pig pickin’ or watermelon, live music or a dramatic reading of the "Declaration of Independence," there’s something for everyone this holiday, and Xpress has all your pie-flavored,…The artistic collaboration takes place at The BLOCK off Biltmore on Sunday, July 2.Guitarist Dani Rabin and saxophonist Danny Markovitch met in Israel in 2007; Rabin had recently graduated from Berklee College of Music in Boston, and Markovitch had just finished Israeli military…The Center for Craft, Creativity and Design and Blue Spiral 1 team up again on the 10th anniversary that first survey of studio craft in the region. Forging Futures, an…The trio will bring their brass instruments and dance moves to the Asheville Music Hall on Saturday, July 1 and Sunday, July 2.The two will share songs on the stage of The Altamont Theatre on Friday, June 30.Such a positive focus is what we need right now. If Annie has taught us anything, it’s that, despite it all, the sun will come out tomorrow.
- Partnerships with local breweries will help raise much-needed summer funding for MANNA FoodBank.Founders Joan and Joe Eckert reflect on the pub's history, including being the original home of Asheville's second brewery.Local authors, chefs and bakers dish up ideas for imaginative open-air feasts.Café Yuzu will feature handmade treats by baker and owner Cynthia Pierce along with products from Vortex Doughnuts, French Broad Chocolates, OWL Bakery and Dobra Tea. Also, Fork & Knife…WHAT: A 4.5-mile race through East Asheville WHEN: Saturday, July 8, 8 p.m. WHERE: Highland Brewing WHY: Glow-in-the-dark necklaces, crazy costumes and beer — the perfect combination for a running…
- The main reasons pets are surrendered are related to behavior problems and not spaying or neutering animals. Addressing these issues in annual visits can help save pets' lives.
- Film historian Frank Thompson displays his versatility, Asheville School of Film teaches the unspoken rules of working on a movie set and more.
- With balloons, fancy hats, Zumba and gospel singing all featuring as part of the activities in the full-day Western Women's Business Conference on June 21, it wasn't your average business…Asheville’s bustling economy owes much to the city’s continued popularity as a tourist destination, but the area is also benefiting from a wave of local business expansions.Moss gardeners have it made in the shade when they visit Mountain Moss Enterprises in Brevard, where local author and moss promoter Annie Martin offers education and sells mosses to…Discoveries at an archaeological site in Morganton support an astonishing conclusion: Long-lost Fort San Juan, which may have been the earliest permanent European settlement in the interior of North American,…In 2016, local writer Ben Anderson decided to examine the Great Smoky Mountains National Park with a fresh perspective. To mark the centennial anniversary of the National Park Service, he…
- "The Citizens Climate Lobby, which I only recently discovered, believes there is common ground to be found between progressives and conservatives on climate, and that finding it begins with listening…Asheville, NC“People need to see the power they really have, especially the power to prevent Duke Energy from making all the decisions,” says Asheville Community Rights co-founder Kat Houghton. “Corporations should…"I have to ask why, if local media support American veterans, these main sources of local info are not reporting on the battle going on in Washington over the VA…