- The new 15,000-square-foot gallery will display work of regional and national fine and craft artists on the lower two floors.Roy Wooten and Tracy Silverman bring their innovative duo to Isis on Nov. 17.The duo will bring their eclectic brand of cello-punk to Fleetwood’s on Thursday, Nov. 15.The Asheville-based multi-instrumentalist and his band play a record release show Nov. 17 at Jack of the Wood.This year, the 17th for the event, features the work of local designer Denise Carbonell.The evening-length work will be performed Nov. 17-19 at Congregation Beth Ha-Tephila.Michael Lilly is fearless in this role. He isn't afraid to wear the emotions on his sleeve, whether he is making snide comments on the insincerity of the minister's words…Chaz Bear discusses his break from touring and how it changed the way he makes music.The Asheville-based author reads from her new book on Nov. 16 at Malaprop's.
- The Can’d Aid Foundation benefits from working with Oskar Blues, while Burial actively gives back through sponsorships of LEAF International and the Asheville Symphony.Mixing up a large quantity of cocktails ahead of a gathering can streamline drinks service while showcasing a host’s creativity.From pies to chocolate to ice cream yule logs, it's dessert season in WNC.East Fork Pottery moves its factory to Biltmore Village, Henrietta's Poultry Shoppe is now open in the RAD, Metro Wines offers a Thanksgiving wine tasting, Isis gets a new executive…
- With amounts ranging from $3,000 to $6,000, the grants may seem small but can have a huge impact on growing farming operations.Since the inception of a new adaptive exercise program for athletes with intellectual and developmental disabilities in October, a core group of about six athletes with a variety of abilities…
- Mountainfilm on Tour stops by Highland Brewing, Lenoir-Rhyne screens a pair of environmental activism documentaries and more.
- "When all the wounds of war are healed/And hate’s grim sorrows fade/With pulsing heart we’ll read the part/The Red Cross Nurses played," reads a poem in the Nov. 23, 1918…Local tourism operators are sensing a shift in the racial makeup of visitors to the Asheville area. Though the data don't definitively support that conclusion — at least not yet…While organizations continue to use traditional forms of community engagement such as printed mailing lists and media relations, social media platforms such as Facebook and Twitter have widened their scope…As families deal with competing demands, organizations that use volunteers have learned that flexibility is key. By smoothing the process of participation, groups such as the YMCA of Western North…Robert Pressley, incumbent Buncombe County commissioner for District 3, was the only Republican to win a county race in the hotly contested 2018 midterms. Buncombe County Democratic Party Chair Jeff…In a Nov. 7 press release, interim City Manager Cathy Ball announced that Chief Hooper would be resigning effective Wednesday, Jan. 2 — as well as that Hooper had previously…
- "Either, way the food scene around here seems to be driven by people who really don’t know what true food tastes like, or they just like what sounds good on…"So viceroys aren't a monarch imitator. Both butterflies co-evolved this feature of being unpalatable to birds.""Regardless of what you think about our presidential lapdog representing District 11, and whatever it is you think about our conservative court system, it seems to me that a local…"The Supreme Court did not 'trample' your rights. They simply extended those rights to women.""As we talked with people in community forums, we heard about places and events that are bringing people together, from public libraries to town commons to Friday night football games,…" I would ask for plan transparency, some preservation of the environment and safety for pre-existing homeowners. So far we know nothing."ASHEVILLE, N.C.