- “The teacher in the book, Ms. Bird, comes off as an old and ugly schoolmarm,” Trudrung says. “I wanted to play up her femininity.” Inspirations for the role included Kellyanne…For this year’s Xpress Poetry Contest, writers were tasked with creating an ode (or a haiku or a ballad or a quatrain, etc.) to the Western North Carolina environment.Acclaimed guitarist Meg Duffy brings their band to The Mothlight on April 13.The Swannanoa native plays an album release show on April 9 at The Grey Eagle.The Cloud Show, which also includes work by Judit Just, Court McCracken, Carmelo Pampillonio and Neil Goss, will open in the Thom Robinson & Ray Griffin Exhibition Space on Friday,…La Danza del Sur, coming up on Saturday, April 6, at The Mothlight, will be the largest Noche LatinX event to date, with a bigger venue and regional talent.The inaugural local celebration of invention, creativity, curiosity and hands-on learning takes place April 6 on UNC Asheville’s Main Quad.Asheville-based artist Elizabeth Albright's show of zoomorphic transformations of classic portraiture has an opening reception on April 5 at Downtown Books and News.
- Once a rarity on the Asheville-area scene, lagers have become fixtures in a growing number of local breweries.“More than anything, automation has made work more manageable, and also it’s made the management of items and data more simple,” says Randy Talley, co-owner of the certified green and…AUX Bar launches its new wooden nickel program to help provide meals to those in need. Also: tailgate markets open for the season, Green Opportunities hosts its latest Kitchen Ready…
- Willey says people started gravitating to the project as soon as he started to work. “I’d turn around as I was painting, and there’d be a grandfather and a young…Mihalas received the Distinguished Service Award for Youth Education from Trout Unlimited last year for her work in creating a new generation of conservation-minded youth. She challenges young people to…The Black Mountain Public Library and UNC Asheville offer programs that provide free seeds to the community.
- The latest Silent Sundays features insights on Harold Lloyd's stunt double, while Asheville 10-Minute Movies finds a new home at The Grey Eagle.
- On Feb. 21, 1927, Asheville residents celebrated the arrival of the city's first local radio station.Before Long cofounded Growing Wild in 2016, she taught in a conventional preschool. “I thought the kids were miserable, and it showed in their performance and behavior,” she recalls. “I…On Tuesday, April 9, from 6-8 p.m., local historians and Stephens-Lee alumni will present A Tribute to the Faculty of Stephens-Lee.Thomas's UpStaff Personnel, an offshoot of the nonprofit Green Opportunities, connects unemployed and under-resourced community members with employers. Unlike other staffing agencies, he explains, the company also provides employees with…Hendersonville Police Chief Herbert Blake has established a voluntary registry for residents with dementia. In the event a person on the registry wanders from home or otherwise goes missing, the…Buncombe County has used about a third of the total 12.5 million cubic yards of space available to receive municipal solid waste, which the department tracks separately from waste produced…Started in 2011, the Green River Spring Cleaning has grown every year, with ever more participants paddling in to cover the Lower Green and the Upper Green. “Our goal is…Last year saw Duffer lead Asheville High School against 765 other teams from across the globe in the Drawdown EcoChallenge. The students achieved victory over the Taiwan Sugar Corporation in…Incumbent Asheville City Board of Education members Shaunda Sandford and Martha Geitner faced tough questions from Asheville City Council at an interview session on March 26. But at Council’s regular…At a budget work session on March 26, city CFO Barbara Whitehorn reported that Asheville can expect to receive $2.5 million in property and sales taxes from the health system…
- "Because the park is in a flood zone, a permanent fix may indeed be difficult. But in the meantime, surely something could be done to make the park usable.""This is a wise decision by the Buncombe County Board of Commissioners if the Medic private EMS service contract is structured to best service Medicare beneficiaries.""We cannot lose ourselves to the oversimplification of differing political ideologies to the point where we no longer recognize that we are all humans and that we have much more…"We need to have as much say as possible over the decisions that affect our lives, the money that informs our projects, the food that we eat and every system…Elevated national attention aside, there’s always been a danger in allowing New York-based media to define Appalachia.