- A recent report on Asheville's music industry prescribed more more business infrastructure to support the arts, and Melissa Myers' new company Red Rover Booking aims to do just that. Already…At LEAF Festival, there are plenty of opportunities for even non-dancers to connect with the art form. Fire dancers from Asheville's Unifire Theater, acrobats from Imagine Circus of Raleigh and…Country/folk musician Austin Lucas and comedian Ryan Singer stop by The Odditorium on Wednesday, Oct. 18 at 8 p.m.For her first tour under her own name, singer-guitarist Saliers has put together a band worthy of the material; Hung is featured on violin, and opening act Lucy Wainwright Roche…“At this point, I would guess Western North Carolina enjoys the highest density of artists and craftspeople per capita ... in the U.S.,” says Jon Ellenbogen of Barking Spider Pottery.…Asheville-based theatre company The Synthesis Experiment’s debut production runs Oct. 17-21 at Toy Boat Community Art Space.The neosoul singer/guitarist plays The Mothlight on Saturday, Oct. 14 at 9:30 p.m.When a show is called St. Nicholas, it seems likely it’s a Christmas piece about a certain bearded character in a red suit. But not the St. Nicholas that’s playing…The Charlotte-based instrumental funk quartet plays 185 King St. in Brevard on Friday, Oct. 13, at 8 p.m.The sixth annual concert and auction takes place Monday, Oct. 16 at Flat Rock Playhouse Downtown.
- Asheville has bacon to please every palate — even vegetariansTwo women-owned West Asheville eateries offer traditional Salvadoran and Honduran cuisine.The groundbreaking new brewing operation has found a permanent home in the space that formerly housed Basic Brewing Co.Hickory Nut Gap Farm hosts its inaugural Sausage Festival. Also, Buxton Hall Barbecue hosts a preservation pop up dinner; a traditional foods potluck comes to the West Asheville Community Center;…
- Municipal officials, wildlife experts and WNC residents talk bear-resistant trash cans, bird feeders and educational initiatives designed to protect citizens and wildlife living in close proximity to each other.Although rolfing has a reputation for being painful, it resolves issues of pain and alignment resulting from injuries and surgeries at the source, say local rolfers and their patients.
- Kira Bursky screens her new short film as part of a seven-artist showcase, multiple venues host scary movie series and more.
- Tempie Avery was a midwife, nurse and former slave of Asheville attorney and state senator Nicholas Woodfin.To boost participation of minority- and women-owned businesses in contracting opportunities with local government agencies, both the city of Asheville and Buncombe County provide programs to support those business owners…The African Americans in WNC and Southern Appalachia Conference returns to Asheville for its fourth year Thursday, Oct. 19, through Saturday, Oct. 21. Originally organized to highlight research on the…Women in Asheville have seen the light when it comes to the benefits of networking to boost their business and personal connections. Xpress explored a variety of networking opportunities for…Former Buncombe County Manager Wanda Greene cashed out on a $500,000 payday for six months of work in 2017 and more than $1.6 million over the past four years.
- "Peace = justice = sharing. ... But as Amy Cantrell asked me, 'If we truly believe in peace and not war … what are we willing to risk to bring…"Please call the YWCA for more information about how to sign on. You will not regret it in taking charge of your overall health.""Due to the legislature’s denial and consequently the lack of coherent policy or plan, Asheville and Buncombe County can lead the way with a creative and coherent plan to provide…"If we remove the Vance name and plaque, we will dispose of all positive and negative connotations imposed upon it. We will reduce it to its purest form — an…Asheville, N.C."Naming the history of a problem in our black community does not discount the experiences of our rural white communities. It’s not an either-or argument. It’s an “and” discussion. And…Asheville, N.C.