- ASHEVILLE, N.C.The New York City-based instrumental trio plays The Lazy Diamond on May 20.Gales singles out Asheville bassist Cody Wright — with whom he has toured extensively — for special praise: “He’s an amazing player, and I think he’s going to go very…The soft opening for the space, at 56 Broadway, is slated for Thursday, May 23, which would have been Moog’s 85th birthday.The South Louisiana ensemble plays a zydeco dance party on May 18 at The Orange Peel.In his downtime, Blake has been messing around on acoustic guitar, writing new songs that don’t fit neatly into the funk format or the more rock 'n' roll format he’s…The new-look local honky tonk band plays an album release show May 17 at The Grey Eagle.Remember those “Keep Asheville Weird” bumper stickers? Local playwright Peter Lundblad reminds us of them fondly, if ruefully, in his brainy new satire Buncombe Tower onstage through Sunday, June 2, at…Atlanta-based independent consultant Dina Bailey joins members of local government, arts organizations, artists and community organizers at the AAAC's annual conference.The opening reception for Open Hearts Art Center’s newest show takes place May 16.
- “We are continually amazed by the philanthropic nature of our culinary and hospitality community here and how generous they are to the local community,” says Mary Nesbitt, chief development officer…May is the perfect month to begin adding color to the menu with salads made from locally sourced edibles.These common initiatives have benefits for both the breweries and the nonprofits.According to Feeding America, 20 percent of the more than 46 million people who access the organization’s national network of food banks each year are part of households that include…Entering its 13th year, Café Israel returns to Congregation Beth Israel. Also: The Golden Pineapple opens; Asheville Food Truck Showdown rolls back into town; Metro Wines hosts a riesling class;…
- Facing years of financial instability, Brother Wolf announces funding gap and a new effort to rectify administrative policies that led to the current adversity.Proceeds from the sale support the all-volunteer nonprofit group's annual garden grant awards and other programs.
- The Swannanoa Valley Museum and History Center launches a Summer Historic Documentary Series and local actor Drez Ryan books a recurring role on a new HBO series.
- “Nearly thirty live wire, young business and professional men have already come into the local Kiwanis camp," reported The Asheville Citizen on July 9, 1919.When the time comes for a new leader or a new strategic direction, nonprofits recognize that sound decisions can mean the difference between a sustainable future and irrelevance. That’s why…Nonprofit Blue Ridge Health has opened eight school-based clinics: five in Henderson County, where the child poverty rate is 22.5% and 5% of children have no health insurance; one in…With flat land at a premium, how can new housing developments arise to accommodate the influx of new Ashevilleans without sacrificing water quality or the majesty of unspoiled vistas? Some…ASHEVILLE, N.C.Activists with the Health Equity Coalition are organizing a Friday, May 24, community forum to explore how the $1.5 billion Dogwood Health Trust, created from the sale of Mission Health,…In its first four months, WNC Superheroes has raised $5,431.17 in support of 11 cases referred by partner nonprofits.Asheville City Manager Debra Campbell said both the city and the private sector need to pitch in to make progress on the issue. “What that says to me is collectively,…While Buncombe County’s current proposed budget includes nearly $3.6 million in new education funding, total requests from local systems on May 7 came to roughly $8.16 million. That figure includes…
- "Since traditional miso-making depends on the local climatic environment rather than temperature control, location in Rutherford County was critical in order to reproduce in the U.S. the miso that our…"However, the environmental impact of 'destination weddings' is not remotely offset by avoiding conflict diamonds or using local flowers.""If you are struggling with infertility, you don’t have to face it alone. There are many helpful resources available, including a monthly support group in Asheville.""While I suggested a different location, I support Councilman Keith Young's recommendation, which was just announced, to name the Municipal Building for Walter Robertson.""Clearly, we already have both the expertise and the commitment to improve lives in our region. What we need is more funding and better coordination among our health care system,…"Asheville, we can do better! We are killing the goose that is laying the golden eggs.""People who visit Buncombe County spend $2 billion each year on restaurants, attractions, entertainment, recreation, the arts and lodging, creating jobs for 27,000 people in our community.""As a culture, we suffer from plant blindness, largely ignoring the green organisms all around us that spend their days quietly gathering sunlight."