- Caleb Johnson doesn't get to spend a lot of time in Asheville these days, but keeps up with the local music scene as best as he can. “And for the…The 12th annual Mermaid Parade & Festival takes place on Saturday, June 8, 11 a.m.-11 p.m. in downtown Marshall. Myriad events are planned in celebration of the mermaid legend.The local duo of Sarah Louise and Sally Anne Morgan play a record release show June 12 at The Mothlight.The group show of Asheville-area ceramic artists opens June 8 at the Flood Gallery.The celebratory production, 40 years of Dance Theatre: A Retrospective (Looking back; Looking ahead), takes place at Diana Wortham Theatre on Friday and Saturday, June 7 and 8.The Shiloh neighborhood's Friendship Community Center plays host to a night of funk bands on June 8.The terrific live band is reason enough to see Bright Star, written by Steve Martin and Edie Brickell.The Japanese-American MC and Durham native has found his niche in Los Angeles.American Myth Center’s take on the Shakespeare classic returns with a monthlong tour of local libraries.
- In The Whole Okra: A Seed to Stem Celebration, the author defends a vegetable that's long been maligned by millions.New beers made alongside Highland, Asheville Brewing, Green Man, Bhramari and Hi-Wire will be available at the June 10 opening.Asheville's handful of wine bars have developed a scene for wine lovers that provides drinking experiences that are flavorful, fun, educational (if that's wanted) and — most of all —…Asheville VeganFest returns under new leadership. Also: French Broad Chocolate's Cookies & Creamery celebrates its grand opening; The Block Off Biltmore hosts a hemp food challenge; the 8th annual International…
- "It's absolutely not too late to plant," says Ruth Gonzalez of Reems Creek Nursery in Weaverville.
- Eric Roberts will be at the Fine Arts Theatre on June 13 for the premiere of his new locally-filmed thriller.
- Health care advocates say improving children's well-being requires providing access to health insurance and health care services for their parents. While the majority of Buncombe County's children from low-income families…Pottery from Pompeii, solidified lava, Native American relics, “trophies of the seas,” and “the carnivorous lilies of North Carolina lowlands,” were among the items on display inside Ida Jolly Crawley's…ASHEVILLE, N.C.The genetically engineered chestnuts contain a gene from wheat that breaks down the main toxin produced by the chestnut blight. If federal regulators sign off on the GE trees, which…ASHEVILLE, N.C.A jubilee is a celebration, particularly one that commemorates a special event. That makes it the perfect term to describe what will take place at Asheville’s very own Jubilee! Community…This week in brief: health care coverage vigils, a move to honor Asheville's first African American police lieutenant, summer hours at the Asheville Radio Museum and an end-of-life planning seminar…Transit, tree protection and city employee wages were among the issues that brought more than 100 people to the May 28 City Council meeting.As annual hotel occupancy tax revenues approach $20 million, the Buncombe County Tourism Development Authority on May 29 considered how to divide that increasingly juicy pie to continue to drive…
- "The threat of BEG diets, particularly those that do not undergo feeding trials, is very real.""Find out who maintains your favorite trail and go help on trail workdays or donate.""Hopefully, Mountain Xpress readers will not just see the problem but ask the question, 'What can I do?'”"I mean, it's the Mountain Xpress for gawrsh sakes, not Cahiers du Cinéma!""Where is the evidence that this wholesale testing of children once a year enhances a child’s educational progress or improves our schooling system?""If the district is truly committed to fixing this alarming achievement gap between black and white students, it must work to make specific changes in its own treatment of black…"Council cannot claim to be transit advocates while leaving evening service behind. We must include all routes to 10 p.m. and Sunday and holiday service to 8 p.m."