- A longtime resident of Chapel Hill, Daniel Wallace (who penned Big Fish: A Novel of Epic Proportions, which director Tim Burton made into a 2003 movie of the same name)…Immediate Theatre Project's annual autumn show returns to Isis on Oct. 23.Combining dance, speaking and singing (to pre-recorded music), the one-woman show is “designed to push the edge of personal and collective freedom,” performer Elle Swan explains.“I don’t know many other flowers that will push up through concrete,” Fox says. “To know the dandelion is to embody earth-strength.”The Greenville, S.C.-based funk/jazz collective plays Asheville Music Hall on Oct. 19.The 11-piece band reworsk dance tracks with brass, woodwinds and percussion.Judy Calabrese’s Asheville Fringe hit heads to the Tina McGuire Theatre, Oct. 18-19 and 25-26.The Southern Highland Craft Guild's 72nd annual event returns to the U.S. Cellular Center, Oct. 17-20.
- Service industry workers who bring food to customers' doors do far more than merely drive, yet their efforts are inconsistently rewarded with the standard 20% gratuity.Several local breweries traveled to Denver, Colo., for the 33rd annual event, with three bringing home top honors.In her upcoming class Meredith Leigh teaches ways to eliminate food waste. Also: Blue Cheese Festival launches; Ciao Asheville hosts pasta making class; Thanksgiving pre-orders arrive; and plenty more in…
- Stepp's Hillcrest Orchard and other area U-pick farms celebrate harvest season.
- Asheville Pizza & Brewing announces a new video contest, Kevin Patrick Murphy leads a free discussion on the business of acting and more.
- The 1860 census records show that Buncombe County had 1,907 slaves and 283 slave owners. Yet even today, some local historians say people are unaware that slavery existed in WNC.ASHEVILLE, N.C.Since Duke first began using the practice in WNC in 2016, said company spokesperson Jeff Brooks, helicopters under the utility’s direction have deployed herbicides across more than 500 acres. That…ASHEVILLE, N.C.Hendersonville neighborhood to receive free trees through local program The Hendersonville Tree Board’s NeighborWoods program will provide free trees to homeowners in the Green Meadows neighborhood in Hendersonville on Saturday,…Huge spreadsheets containing academic testing results for each public school district and individual school for the 2018-19 school year became available online in the first week of October. But when…Across Asheville, community members are honoring and reflecting on the 400th anniversary of the landing of the first enslaved Africans in England's North American colonies in 1619.“Medicine Beyond Medication,” North Carolina’s first statewide symposium on narrative health care, will take place at the Mountain Area Health Education Center’s Hendersonville Road campus on Friday and Saturday, Oct.…Antony Chiang, the new leader of the $1.5 billion foundation resulting from the sale of Mission Health to HCA Healthcare, shared details on the nonprofit's plans to support partner organizations…
- "I urge our lawmakers to adequately fund life-changing mental health care for the good of our society, economy and future.""If we continue to destroy the Earth, we destroy ourselves. Now is the time to try to effect change.""It is time we had an honest discussion about the sound system at the Thomas Wolfe Auditorium: It is horrible.""All that we will accomplish by passing new gun legislation will be to tie the hands of law-abiding citizens while giving criminals free rein.""Whether it is a good song, positive conversation, such as the ones Blades & Crystal have each morning, or the good deeds of others, my emotional well-being is better suited…"It’s difficult to change our ways. For instance, almost no one worried about gas guzzlers when gas cost 19 cents a gallon."