- The camaraderie extends beyond the chorus: “I do think there's a real positive kind of connection with the audience during the performances,” says WACC singer Cathy Holt. “They're laughing, they're…The McIntosh County Shouters, who will perform at UNC Asheville on Thursday, Nov. 15, are the sole purveyors of this profound tradition.The celebrations of diverse music take place Nov. 10 at Ambrose West and Nov. 12 at The Mothlight.There will be many local artists, including Asheville-based illustrators Gregory Dickens, Wayne Bernstein, Elizabeth Albright and Jarrett Rutland.Billy Jonas, David LaMotte and Dawud Wharnsby join forces Nov. 11 at Trinity United Methodist Church.The first Descent drew a crowd — regulars and newcomers alike — packing The Black Cloud. “My regulars are into heavy metal, but there’s some overlap between the metal and…The collection of "storytelling superstars" perform Nov. 9 at Habitat Tavern and Commons.The Sublime Theater's inaugural production runs Thursdays-Saturdays through Nov. 17 at The BeBe Theater.
- Through restaurant ventures and a nonprofit culinary training program, Asheville is finding fresh ways to celebrate its soul food legacy.Tod's Tasties transforms into All Day Darling, Taste of Asheville turns 10, Galactic Pizza opens on Sardis Road and more Asheville food news.Over the past four years, Asheville chapter founder Mia Pedersen has organized a range of social and educational activities for local women who love craft beer.
- As a sacred fire burns, two holy leaders from Canada will share insights gleaned from their lives as resilient survivors and indigenous leaders at the Voices of Wisdom gathering near…
- The Reel Rock 13 film tour plays Diana Wortham, the monthly Asheville Filmmaker Mixer offers table reads for local screenwriters and more.
- Broken promises and false starts plagued the city's early hopes of developing an airport.The Buncombe County Tourism Development Authority announced its 2018 tourism product development funding grant awards, to the tune of nearly $10 million. Trained staff are standing by to assist with…When invasive plants reach into productive “rich coves” like Sandy Mush, they can choke out much of the region’s native biodiversity. Endangered and sought-after plants such as yellow mandarin, black…Despite concern that a state law passed in June could stifle early voting numbers, counties in Western North Carolina have seen turnout more consistent with a presidential election than a…In place of its current small business and retail tenants, the Flatiron Building could play host to overnight guests as an 80-room hotel. Owner Russell Thomas and Charleston, S.C.-based developer…Todd Okolichany, Asheville's director of planning & urban design, said the city's Unified Development Ordinance was in need of an extensive and holistic review. While the city has made "Band-Aid…Over the protests of Republicans, who felt the allotment was too large and would put a burden on taxpayers, the Buncombe County Board of Commissioners approved a multimillion dollar investment…
- "For a town that touts its 'progressiveness,' the city of Asheville has shown once again that it is only willing to take the measures that will make our town pretty…"We can honor our military, but let us keep in mind the tragedies that war brings to us at home and abroad.""Now Asheville has joined the community of cities and counties taking responsibility for the climate into their own hands, rather than waiting for our state or national government to take…"To me, the biggest question of all is: What is our leverage to make sure this private corporation fulfills its contract?"