- Queen Bee and the Honeylovers aren’t completely immersed in the past; Moore’s historically based lyrics cover themes that are universal, and many are relevant to present-day Asheville.On Friday, April 26, Goodwill hosts its fifth annual Color Me Goodwill upcycled fashion show at The Orange Peel. The following evening, Saturday, April 27, Asheville GreenWorks kicks off its…Big Boi, Goodie Mob and other Atlanta hip-hop greats play Salvage Station on April 27.Black Mountain College Museum + Arts Center is the location of a new festival celebrating uncategorizable music, running Thursday-Sunday, April 25-28.The Asheville psych-rockers play a record release show on April 27 at The Mothlight.'Broken Bone Bathtub' strips not only the performer, but also the veneer of theatricality, and achieves something more honest and human than expected.The musician and activist plays an intimate solo set at Isis on April 25.The longest running butoh festival in the U.S. returns for its 13th edition, April 25-28 and May 2-5 at BeBe Theatre.The group playes The Crow & Quill on April 12 and will swing back through Asheville, for a stop at ZaPow Gallery, on Friday, April 26.
- The nose-to-tail concept is finding application outside the culinary world; sustainability-minded bartenders and mixologists are applying the “whole beast” approach wherever possible in the creation and preparation of mixed drinks.…The surge of interest in spirits and cocktails means that there is more than one local event in April exploring the world of alcoholic beverages. While Asheville Cocktail Week (see…Local fermentation expert Meredith Leigh will present a workshop on preserving food with the koji mold at the Mother Earth News Fair.Chef Dan Silo opens Sawhorse on New Leicester Highway. Also: Cider, Wine and Dine weekend returns to Henderson County; Azalea Bistro launches in Saluda; Community Table hosts its latest Empty…
- While plenty of people consume cold-pressed juice as a snack or meal replacement, others take the idea further, replacing all food with juice for a period of time in an…Along with more than 150 traditional workshops and seminars, six keynote speakers and hundreds of exhibitors, this year's fair now features hands-on and extended workshops that dig deeper into an…Gardeners can shop for conifers, annuals, perennials, herbs and much more, and local farmer Annie Louise Perkinson will offer a talk about growing a cut-flower garden.
- The YWCA screens a documentary on immigrant prisons at the Grail and Maryedith Burrell leads a workshop on adapting one's work for the screen.
- “Rain barrels don’t catch much, but you can do an open-ground dry stream with stone and a creek bed,” explains Steve Ambrose about the craft introduced to him by friend…In 1891, local ambivalence marked the initial plans for Bingham Military School's relocation to Asheville.Smith, who volunteers and serves on the library’s board, says the nonprofit has reached more than 300 paid members and is still growing. As a result, items such power washers…“This is giving us a way to organize at a regional scale around carbon farming and climate resilience,” says Co-operate WNC founder and permaculture educator Friedman. “Us doing little stuff…Business conditions continued to bloom in the Asheville area this spring, with economic indicators revealing strong job growth through February. Also in this week's Biz Briefs: new business openings, strong…The fund, which has grown to over $40,000 through gifts and investments, purchases replacements for downtown trees that are old, diseased or removed for redevelopment. Not all of the trees…The reserve’s biggest public-facing project is its red spruce restoration effort, which has planted roughly 4,000 trees on public land since 2009 in conjunction with state, federal and nonprofit partners.…Curry says his new line of shoes — made using natural hemp fiber — is both practical and environmentally conscious. “It was chosen because it deals well with water. It…For over 35 years, Bryan Stevenson has worked to challenge poverty and racial injustice while arguing for equal treatment in the criminal justice system. On Thursday, April 25, the lawyer,…The Buncombe County Board of Commissioners got its first look at the county's fiscal year 2020 budget at a noon meeting originally announced to review the agenda for the board's…Rep. Chuck McGrady, a Henderson County Republican, on April 16 introduced a bill in the state House to require the Metropolitan Sewerage District of Buncombe County to add Fletcher, Mills…
- "I do what I do because I care deeply about pets and their health; the insinuation that pet stores like mine are only in it for the money is incredibly…"That is the FDA’s warning to pet owners: Be concerned if your dog’s diet is high in vegetable protein""I would personally like to thank Denise Bitz for her extraordinary contribution to the animals of Asheville and Western North Carolina.""Instead of begging developers to make 20% of their units affordable, we can build the amount we need, and keep them affordable indefinitely.""Our trees and their arboreal cohorts all across Asheville could be —should be — our city's most effective and affordable defense against the dangerous flooding, erosion and temperature extremes that…ASHEVILLE, N.C."It appears by the article in the paper that changing to a hotel will be hurting many small businesses as they 'close' in the Flatiron Building. That is a real…