- Jesssica Kaufman met fifth-generation master artisan Anwar Khatri on the Batik Techniques Facebook group. He’s based in a small village in India’s Gujarat state, off the beaten path of tourism,…Lichtenberger is the first to admit that he likes things a certain way. “I like being really prepared,” he says. “I like keeping a schedule. It keeps me sane and…The Los Angeles-based pianist/vocalist plays Isis Music Hall on April 11.Along with exhibitions, concerts, readings, dance performances and a ceramics sale, Arts Fest also offers installations and presentations aimed at engaging students and the broader Asheville community.The local band plays an album release show April 6 at Asheville Music Hall.On Saturday, April 7, artist Josh Copus will dedicate his latest installation from his Building Community Brick Project at the Woodson Branch Nature School.Attic Salt's production of the Bill C. Davis comedy runs Fridays-Sundays, April 6-22, at 35below.The exhibition runs April 2-30 at the Wedge at Foundation's Cloud Room and features the work of local artists Elise Okrend, Tessa Lang and Jen Gordon.Alice Gerrard & Friends, David Holt & the Lighting Bolts and Balsam Range play a show to benefit their musician friend's medical fund April 8 at The Grey Eagle.
- Some of Western North Carolina's freshest spring ingredients are found outside the garden.Mike Rangel and Doug Riley recount the origins of the brewery, pizzeria and discount cinema and how it's remained a local favorite.Author and PBS television host Laura Theodore discusses her latest cookbook and new restaurant. Also: Fermenti offers free tastings; Folkmoot celebrates Appalachian culture and cuisine; outdoor tailgate markets return; Rise…
- The Western N.C. Alliance of Gardens That Give is a collaborative effort among local gardens that grow food to reduce food insecurity in this region. The organization welcomes prospective new…Losing weight is hard, and keeping it off may be even harder. Local experts share information and tips to help sustain a healthy weight after taking off some pounds.
- The Asheville Jewish Film Festival begins at the Fine Arts Theatre, the Grail shows a new Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds concert film and more.
- In 1905, Dr. Lewis M. McCormick arrived in Asheville. He quickly became known as "Fly Man."The Asheville chapter of a national environmental group is pushing a plan it believes can win bipartisan support for combating climate change.The Burton Street Peace Garden started out as a community experiment, says founder DeWayne Barton. Today, the space serves a variety of needs and purposes, nourishing bodies and souls on…When Boone Guyton and Claudia Cady take to the road, they are driving on energy gathered from the sun by their home solar panel system. The couple made the switch…As Buncombe County Sheriff Van Duncan prepares to leave the post he’s held for the past 12 years, he spoke with Xpress to reflect on the current state of policing,…With the potential of tax revenues from the proposed acquisition of Mission Health by a for-profit company looming on the horizon, members of City Council's Finance Committee heard several proposals…
- ASHEVILLE, NC"I must ask these Moral Majority hypocrites, how in hell can you continue to support President Trump and also claim that you are in a position to preach about the…"So, in the end, in addition to soaring medical costs, patients would pick up the tab for repairing potholes, street repaving and whatever else the city councils and county commissions…