- On Friday, June 15, the YMI Cultural Center will host 'Trigger Warning,' an art exhibit by members of Pink Dog Creative.Until recently, the musician performed under the monicker Searra Jade. "Samara" is the botanical name for the seed pods from maple trees, “The ones that fall like little helicopters,” she…“Some days I’m like, ‘Nope, not gonna do that. People are gonna think that’s crazy,’” Smith says. “Sometimes it’s like, ‘Just get it down on the page. Let’s see what…“We believe that building healthy communities requires education, but that to sustain and uplift those healthy communities you need to ensure education is fun, authentic and organic,” says Morgan Markowitz,…Isis Music Hall celebrates LGBTQ Pride Month with sets from three talented East Coast singer-songwriters on June 13.The Durham-based antifolk troubadour plays a full band show at the Burger Bar on June 9.Asheville BookWorks hosts an exhibition of the 11-artist collective's work, June 7-July 28.Worth mentioning, the Hazel Robinson Amphitheater is, itself a character in this production. The setting allows for the actors to dart into the audience, chirping birds add to the ambiance,…The Las Vegas singer-songwriter plays French Broad River Brewery on June 7.
- Employee Crystal Capettini bought the bar with the intention of preserving its historic dive bar character.Whether its from coworkers, customers or management, sexual harassment is an issue in Asheville's restaurants and bars.Officially open since May 8 in the former Kim’s Wig Shop space, the Asheville Club takes its name from the all-male, nonpolitical organization that inhabited the Miles Building from its…A La Mode Macaron brings its interpretation of the European sweet treat to North Asheville. Also: VegOut returns, No Taste Like Home hosts Wildcrafted Cocktails and more in this week's…
- A class at Living Web Farms explores ways to inoculate carbonized charcoal with beneficial microbes and nutrients to yield a superior longterm fertilizer.The fundraiser for Heart of Horse Sense takes place June 9 at Horse Sense of the Carolinas' Marshall farm.
- The Grail shows a documentary on a London Gay Men's Chorus singer's journey, the Polk County Film Initiative hosts a fundraiser for the 2018 Tryon International Film Festival and more.
- Established based on recommendations from a special Council-appointed Blue Ribbon Committee, the new group will be charged with improving human relations and equity throughout Asheville’s government — including the Asheville…It’s not often that two men, unrelated, share both a name and a profession. But this was the case for writers Thomas Wolfe.In late February Trey Adcock was one of seven national recipients of the White Public Engagement Fellowship. The UNCA assistant-professor will use the $50,000 grant to uncover the story of…Author and journalist Carol Polsgrove kicks off our series on urban rambles in Western North Carolina with a paean to her personal walking nirvana: Asheville’s Montford neighborhood.With the help of money from the Pigeon River Fund, Asheville GreenWorks has lifted more than one thousand pounds of trash from Mud Creek in Hendersonville.HCA’s purchase price for the system, plus Mission’s remaining net cash and investments, would fund a nonprofit foundation specifically devoted to boosting public health in the region. At a meeting…
- ASHEVILLE, NC"Undocumented alien is just as legitimate a descriptive as any of the words used for any other crime, which describes the criminal and the crime.""In short, a culture that believes in 'white-people things,' creates a self-fulfilling prophecy. This is plainly evident when it comes to population demographics of public lands and green spaces.""To prevent the demise of our democracy, we must participate in it.""The irony that the supporters of the Lost Cause claim to oppose the rewriting of history is that in many cases, they were the ones who rewrote that history."ASHEVILLE, NC"The time is now to insist our students receive tools that will give them, their families and their world a million times more benefit than would the tools of defense…"Racial discrepancies in traffic stops have roused many in our community to stand up and speak out — and for good reason."