- One of the nation's fringier fringes celebrates its 17th year, Jan. 20-27.Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. receives a diverse musical tribute on Jan. 22 at Diana Wortham Theatre.The bluegrass stalwarts welcome Hiss Golden Messenger for their annual homecoming show, Jan. 19 at the U.S. Cellular Center.Tellico used a back-to-basics approach to recording, tracking live in the studio instead of layering individual performances. That approach is key to the record’s organic, you-are-there sonic quality.The veteran standups bring their Come Out Laughing Comedy Tour to The Grey Eagle on Jan. 19.Six poets and prose writers — Christine Hale, Luke Hankins, Mackenzie Kozak, Thoreau Lovell, Mark MacNamara and former North Carolina Poet Laureate Shelby Stephenson — will kick off the first…The Philadelphia-based rock/punk quartet plays The Odditorium on Jan. 18.What would you do if you had superpowers for a day? Xpress wants to know! Submit student art, essays and poems by Feb. 8 to be considered for the 2019…
- The CANarchy Craft Brewery Collective — whose members include Oskar Blues Brewery and Cigar City Brewing — will bring new collaborative beers and ones from its portfolio to downtown Asheville…Women are becoming a force to be reckoned with in the historically male-dominated field.Entering its seventh year, Asheville Restaurant Week begins Monday, Jan. 21. Also: Science Pub series returns; Chestnut hosts six-course wine dinner; Dobra Tea West Asheville leads a course on the…
- The UNCA chapter of the International Socialist Organization hosts a screening of "Sorry to Bother You," December's Asheville Filmmaker Mixer is rescheduled and more.
- On June 9, 1917, the city of Asheville gained 5,000 new residents with its annexation of West Asheville.“The vagaries of climate and geology and time and the dispersal mechanisms of plants and animals too — all of those things, just over vast eons of time, have given…Asheville-based nonprofit Campaign for Southern Equality, along with Western North Carolina Community Health Services, released a study last month detailing the health care experiences of transgender and nonbinary people. Transgender…Beginning this year, various local nonprofits will leverage grants from the Buncombe County Tourism Development Authority to renovate and reconfigure the Stephens-Lee Recreation Center, the YMI Cultural Center and the…Observances of the life and legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. kick off with the 38th annual prayer breakfast on Saturday, Jan. 19, presented by The Dr. Martin Luther…After Democrats broke the Republican supermajority in the N.C. House of Representatives and Senate in the 2018 election, State Sen. Terry Van Duyn believes her party colleagues in the General…“When I say I literally have physical anxiety about supporting this project, that is real and true,” said Council member Keith Young, citing his concerns over a lack of affordable…
- "The immigrant vote is a major threat to U.S. abortion rights and has already destroyed the March for Choice (replacing it with the March for Women’s Lives or Women’s March)."