- Asheville Music School kicks off a week of free demos and lessons with a concert featuring its student ensembles at Barley's on Tuesday, Sept. 5.The grand-prize winner of this year's Indie 500 flash fiction contest is "Lucky Stars," by Black Mountain-based author Amy Manikowski. The runners up are "Winsome," by Eugene McLaughlin and "Small-town…The former public radio producer will discuss his debut novel in conversation with Charles Frazier at Malaprop’s on Tuesday, Sept. 5.The four-man group from Asheville unapologetically calls itself a rock band. The band celebrates the release of its fourth studio album, Love Hate, with a Friday, Sept. 1 show at…Dialogue is the hope for the opening reception, when seven artists — Deanna Chilian, Chuck Hunner, Julie Miles, Roger Munch, Leslie Rowland, Molly Sawyer and exhibition curator Joseph Pearson —…The rebranded festival takes place on Lexington Avenue on Sunday, Sept. 3.To mark the Double Crown's 25th gospel night — on Thursday, Aug. 31 — venue owner Steve Mann booked one of the most influential bands in gospel music history. “The…Mobley, Professor Toon, Vietnam Jerry and Raj Mahal play Asheville Music Hall on Friday, Sept. 1.Grovewood Gallery hosts an exhibition of artwork by Arts For Life pediatric patients Sept. 2-17.
- A new crop of eateries and drinking spots is changing the face of the West Asheville business corridor.Hunger Action Month brings a fresh-produce hub for Haywood and Jackson counties, an expansion of the MANNA Packs for Kids program and a new initiative that engages tourists in raising…The North Carolina Apple Festival returns for its 71st year. Also: Whole Foods Market and Greenlife raise funds for Asheville City Schools Foundation, the Acupuncture for Digestive Health offers a…
- The Organic Growers School's Harvest Conference, held Friday and Saturday, Sept. 8 and 9, supports growers in processing the bounty of the autumn harvest and extending the growing season through…Wellness tourism has taken off in Asheville. Asheville Wellness Tours highlight the best wellness experiences Asheville has to offer, with walking tours, bachelorette parties and shopping.
- Habitat Brewing hosts an MST3K-like screening, Pack Library celebrated Banned Book Month with a screening of the first Harry Potter film and more.
- Denise Patterson has already begun her work as the new superintendent of the Asheville City Schools. A native of North Carolina, Patterson says she is looking forward to becoming a…As students go back to school, construction projects will continue on some campuses of both the city and county school systems. At historic Asheville High School, a $25 million renovation…To fulfill its critical mission and increase its capacity to deal with a growing service area and customer base, MSD is in the midst of a $266 million capital improvement…
- "Your turn signal isn't there to show others that you're turning. It's there to alert others that you're about to turn.""It is not proper for our hometown TV stations to give us misleading and false information disguised as commentary — and made mandatory by Sinclair."