- Other sonic offerings at spring LEAF include soul, jazz and r&b alchemizers the Delvon Lamarr Organ Trio; singer-songwriter and multi-instrumentalist sisters Larkin Poe; husband-and-wife soul-folk duo The War and Treaty;…The Carolina Chocolate Drops' multi-instrumentalist plays a May 8 solo show at Isis.Arroyo’s work is popular at festivals such as Dragon Con and Illuxcon and appears on skateboards. “I’m a skateboarder and it’s pretty cool to ride my own deck,” he says.The Idaho-based writer reads from her debut novel on May 8 at Malaprop's.Four chapters in local filmmakers Carolyn Crowder and Rod Murphy's documentary profile series about Presbyterian ministers in the Civil Rights Era will be screened at the Fine Arts Theatre on…The activism art show opens May 4 at Hazard Inks in Hendersonville.'Revolver' is often thought of as the first Beatles album to make use of the recording studio as an instrument. The album’s innovative, experimental nature is evident on tracks as…Western Carolina University alum Tom Pazderka’s monthlong solo exhibit receives a preview reception at Bender Gallery on May 3.
- Local restaurant owners discuss the strategies and motivations behind their expansions.Jacob Sessoms joins forces with Wicked Weed Brewing. Also: Cinco de Mayo events, Curragh Chase pop-ups, Early Girl Eatery heads to North Asheville and more local food news.Founder Oscar Wong reflects on the latest milestone of Asheville's oldest craft brewery and is optimistic about the people and products guiding its next quarter century.
- The Buncombe County Health and Human Services Department will offer syringe services at its 40 Coxe Ave. clinic beginning in July or August, joining the Needle Exchange Program of Asheville…At least 35 bears have been struck and killed since May 2018 in the 28-mile stretch of I-40 between the Maggie Valley exit and the Foothills Parkway in Tennessee. The…ASHEVILLE, N.C.Some places in Buncombe County still offer outdoors solitude without a lengthy drive to Great Smoky Mountains National Park or an obscure corner of Pisgah National Forest. Mark Barrett offers…Peonies are unfussy perennials with beautiful, colorful blooms. And many varieties will be on full display this month at Wildcat Ridge Farm in Clyde.
- Katie Damien’s feature-length comedy will be screened on May 9 at the Fine Arts Theatre.
- In 1919, construction began on the Asheville-Black Mountain Highway. Several setbacks, including a construction fire and a labor shortage, delayed the project's eventual completion.Opportunities to celebrate local Special Olympians and veterans of past wars are coming up this spring. And with the arrival of warmer weather, the city of Asheville provides tips on…The painting over of Biltmore Avenue's 'Before I Die' wall reminds residents that nothing lasts forever.Community members took the opportunity to discuss the issues surrounding the tourism industry in Asheville and hear a presentation from the WNC Green Party about restructuring of hotel occupancy taxes…The total cost of those buses, according to a city staff report, would be approximately $1.5 million, of which Asheville would contribute $225,000 in matching funds. Some members of the…
- "Mandatory edicts regarding substances to be injected into any person’s body is a concern not only for parents, but for everyone.""Societal norms do evolve — we’ve traveled centuries from biblical and medieval times.""As a movie fan, I appreciate an educated and critical reviewer who is also a skilled writer.""It is high time we end the idea that trans people are rapacious predators or perverts.""A common misconception people have is that food waste composts in the landfill, but due to its anaerobic environment, food almost mummifies, taking years, sometimes decades, to break down."ASHEVILLE, N.C."Join us for a Green New Deal Town Hall on Saturday, May 4, 5-7 p.m. at the Rainbow Community School auditorium, 60 State St., Asheville."