- Area builders take different approaches to capture the past in building timber-framed houses and barns.Local historian and archivist Katherine Cutshall discusses the parallels between Thomas Wolfe's 1923 play, Welcome to Our City, and modern-day Asheville.Longtime and recent transplants from New Orleans discuss Asheville's appeal to creatives relocating to Western North Carolina from the The Big Easy.Xpress' monthly comedy features returns to discuss New Year's resolutions, staying fit (kind of) and Valentine's Day.The Candler-based singer-songwriter's "New Lost Ages" will be released Feb. 9.Sex, religion and history are among the issues explored in upcoming local theater productions.The Black Experience Book Club prepares for 2024 with its latest gathering. Also: Catherine Bostic Southern remembers her late mother, Anna Victoria celebrates her debut album and more!
- Xpress catches up with Steven Goff to discuss gas-station charcuterie, radishes and great food destinations outside of Western North Carolina.MANNA food bank unveils new Food Finder tool to coordinate between food pantries and those experiencing food insecurity. Also: POPPY reveals three new popcorn flavors, Haywood Park Hotel hosts a…
- Pia Silvani is the director of behavior and training at the Asheville Humane Society, where she and a team of trainers teach canine manners and “puppy kindergarten” classes.Welcoming a rainbow baby can bring complex emotions: Some parents don’t want to get hopeful again because they know that even when a heartbeat sounds strong and even when Mom…Therapists work to correct misconceptions about ketamine, which they say can treat certain mental health issues.Alex East, 27, of Asheville discusses his participation in the recent Hawaiian Ultra Running Team’s 100-Mile Endurance Run.
- When Kit Cramer arrived at the Asheville Area Chamber of Commerce as president and CEO in 2010, Asheville’s downtown was the subject of much complaining about panhandling, trash and graffiti.…The perspective of what it’s like downtown has been a bit of a roller coaster lately, with some lauding the plethora of local breweries, restaurants and local shops and others…Sheridan Hill discusses her plans to launch Mountain Hearth Village, an intentional community in McDowell County.As the demand for public health careers rises, future public health practitioners share the field's diverse employment opportunities and how to address the mistrust of governmental institutions and the medical…A low-barrier shelter for people who are unhoused is a key component to cutting homelessness in half in two years, according to a National Alliance to End Homelessness report from…People involved with the team at different levels reflect on the Smoke’s brief but memorable run and whether Asheville might support pro hockey any time soon.With rising rents and a growing population, local leaders are using every tool they have to encourage more affordable developments, including the City of Asheville Land’s Use Incentive Grant program.…Conservation biologist JJ Apodaca and his locally based organization, Tangled Bank Conservation, recently received a $100,000 prize to further develop genetic sequencing techniques that will help save three of the…The Buncombe County Tourism Development Authority board heard a quarterly progress report from Explore Asheville, the TDA’s marketing agency, regarding the authority’s strategic goals and initiatives at its Jan. 24…Asheville City Council postponed a vote on the installation of a prefabricated 24-hour restroom outside of the Rankin Avenue parking garage at its Jan. 23 meeting over concerns regarding the…Asheville Watchdog hosts “HCA-Mission at Five Years: What Can We Do to Restore Better Healthcare in WNC?” The Jan. 23 event featured five panelists: Dr. Clay Ballantine; Brevard Mayor Maureen…The proposed regulations would ban future short-term rentals, both whole-house and rentals within the owner’s primary residence, in unincorporated parts of Buncombe County unless they were located within commercial zones…The Stop the Harm Audit’s key overall findings revolve around the availability of data, equity training, affordable housing and hiring practices, according to the presentation by Adrian Carter, project lead…
- "He continues to show us that he is not interested in supporting the needs and the values of the citizens of Western North Carolina.""Every time I’ve contacted her, she has been responsive: listening carefully, asking and answering questions, and lending support as needed.""It came to my attention that the local newspaper is promoting someone who is not a member of the Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians tribe.""Therefore, if city residents are not using or benefiting from the BCSO, then it would seem that city residents should pay a reduced tax rate to the county.""We recommend our community rethink placing the onus on children, as this lead sentence conveys: 'In Asheville, Black students have lagged behind their white counterparts in literacy for decades, according…"Her approach is not limited to election periods; rather, she consistently reaches out to understand and address the needs and challenges of local businesses and families.""There are already zoning regulations in place, and further regulation of owners’ property rights in regard to STRs is not needed.""This legislation is not an attack on any group but a reinforcement of the belief that parents should have a primary role in their children's moral and educational development.""This is as idiotic as saying the object of education is to expand the students’ understanding and knowledge and should be left to professionals.""So losing Medicare would be like shooting yourself in the foot — and not having an emergency room to take care of your wound."