- The 2018 NewSong finalists will showcase and compete at Isis Music Hall on Saturday, Dec. 15, judged by competition founder Gar Ragland, Diana Ezerins from the Kennedy Center in Washington,…Produced by Southside Rising and supported by partners such as Asheville Creative Arts, the show opens on Saturday, Dec. 15, and will be staged throughout the city.The Asheville singer-songwriter plays Isis Music Hall on Dec. 19.The Thursday, Dec. 15 performance, featuring Roy Harris and Kathy Gordon, will center on holiday-themed tales.The recent Asheville transplants play a full band show Dec. 14 at One World Brewing West.The computerized origin of Carroll’s music is offset to a large degree by the organic feel of the songs on Flight Patterns. “I feel connected to Western North Carolina as…The youths of Montford Park Players’ Moppets program run the annual holiday production, Dec. 14, 16, 21, 22 and 23 at Land of the Sky UCC.'Sanders Family Christmas' is the sequel to the bluegrass gospel musical 'Smoke on the Mountain.' It runs through Sunday, Dec. 23, on the campus of Mars Hill University.The former Everybodyfields member plays Ambrose West on Dec. 13.
- Making syrups for cocktails is a fun and forgiving process that encourages experimentation.Local brewery representatives discuss the benefits and drawbacks of using glass growlers or aluminum Crowlers for on-demand packaged beer.From reusing glass jars, to bulk shopping to bringing your own container for restaurant takeout and leftovers, locals are finding strategies for cutting down on food packaging.The Social invites amateurs and professionals to compete in its inaugural Biscuit & Gravy Battle. Also: Fermented Pairings Series Vol. 9: Wintertime Treats; Brunch with Santa Claus; Cacao Alchemy and…
- Many area growers rely on holiday sales of their food products and handicrafts to help carry their businesses through the winter season.
- Pack Library and The Orange Peel screen holiday favorites, Pisgah Film Project brings "Free Solo" to Brevard and more.
- In 1928, city officials, business owners and residents came together to launch the inaugural Rhododendron Festival.Deltec Homes celebrates 50 years in business, while The Toy Box on Merrimon Avenue prepares to close after its 30-plus-year run.At a recent event in Chimney Rock hosted by the Hill to Crag climbing initiative, veterans of the armed forces explored how climbing can serve as a way to recapture…Upgrades to the tangled web of interchanges from the I-26 intersection at Interstate 40 through the gnarled conduit of traffic on the Bowen Bridge have been on the N.C. Department…"There’s real fear among nonprofit organizations that not supporting the current iteration of the board could mean retaliation in the form of being cut from the $1.5 billion that DHT…The Asheville Police Department has released additional data sets at the city's online open data portal. A new survey ranks Asheville #20 on the list of America's best retirement destinations.…Miller pledged to live up to his campaign promises of promoting the idea of a “community of we” and seeking ways to work together. “We must treat people with dignity…“Unless you are using the city and county tools and financing from either the city’s housing trust fund, the county’s affordable housing fund or some kind of funds from a…Buncombe County Board of Commissioners members expressed their concerns over the city’s impending requests for county funds to expand its Asheville Redefines Transit service. “This is Buncombe County; it’s not…
- "This is where the key issues that we all care about are brought to national prominence, promoted by all of our votes, if we participate. There's the key — participation.""Women did not kill civic clubs; entrenched financial barriers and a mentality of exclusivity did.""The thuggish behavior of the North Carolina GOP has been a disaster, making us a national laughingstock, and there needs to be some kind of reckoning, and soon.""Intense efforts need to be employed to correct problems at underperforming facilities. For those facilities that are performing well, they need to be provided the tools and financing to continue…"I get that Charlotte Street is not the most bike-friendly but would also bet that only one in a thousand vehicles on Charlotte is a bicycle; therefore, taking a car…"Demand for affordable housing is high because of the sum of our individual actions.""The question, to me at least, is how to fairly distribute the responsibility of city finances."