- “What makes Lesley’s music so interesting is that it perfectly straddles the lines between North Carolina Piedmont blues and country music,” Dom Flemons says.Terpsicorps’ 'Hunger' returns to the stage Thursday-Saturday, June 20-22, at Diana Wortham Theater for the company’s 17th season. Its message is even more relevant today than when the ballet premiered…The Asheville-based guitarist/producer plays an album release show June 15 at The Block Off Biltmore.The inaugural event and fundraiser for Sweet Bear Rescue Farm takes place June 15 at Sanctuary Brewing Co.“It would be really nice,” Parlamento says, “if somebody fell asleep at the show. I feel like that would be more appropriate to me than somebody talking during the show.”The afternoon show at The Grey Eagle also includes the debut screening of of VIA’s short film Firefly. Girls Rock supporters are also invited to the camp's showcase on June…The star-studded local Steely Dan tribute band plays Ambrose West on June 14.The show slyly has a lot to say, but keeps it cleverly buried under the circus-like central concept.The Tucson-based husband/wife duo present their book and film combination on June 13 at Malaprop's.
- There are numerous ways beyond pies and jams to enjoy Western North Carolina's plentiful summer blueberries.Seven Western North Carolina bakers discuss the role their fermenting, bubbling starters play in their bread operations.Local restaurants plan for Father's Day. Also: Asheville Bee Charmer celebrates its fifth anniversary, Chris Smith leads an okra workshop and more.
- Local centers report that the silent meditation retreat business is booming. Ranging from a single day to a full two weeks off the grid, the retreats eliminate unnecessary external stimulation…There's high demand in Asheville's restaurant scene for local, pasture-raised eggs, but for small farms, scaling an egg operation to wholesale presents many challenges.
- Movies in the Park spotlights Black Panther, the deadline for Twin Rivers Multimedia Festival submissions is extended and more.
- On Sunday, June 30, the Berry Temple United Methodist Church will hold its final service. According to its pastor, the Rev. Darryl Dayson, the institution has struggled with attendance for…ASHEVILLE, N.C.On June 16, 1912, the city celebrated its first Father's Day. Shortly thereafter, another day of observance was proposed: Mother-in-Law Day.ASHEVILLE, N.C.Part biography, part travel guide, Bruce Johnson's latest book highlights key landmarks and locations the three literary icons visited or frequented during their respective stays in Asheville in the 1930s.“We used to talk about presidents and members of Congress having permanent campaigns, meaning they never really stop campaigning, and I think the same thing has now trickled down to…Most of the 16 public commenters at the June 4 Buncombe County Board of Commissioners hearing on the budget made the case for allocations beyond the roughly $334.52 million in…The Collider announced that Claire Callen, owner of the Wells Fargo Building, will join the nonprofit's board as president and assume all responsibility for daily operation of the organization.
- "North Carolina Democratic and Republican legislators know that the solution to filling this gap is to pass legislation that provides 'clean' Medicaid expansion.""Schools are not waiting rooms for our youths, but an active development of what it is to be human on a global scale.""Brian’s been a force for change in this conservative stronghold. Mills River is now installing greenways, walking paths, solar panels, high-speed broadband and electric car chargers.""Talking to the kids themselves, it’s clear that, in many cases, one problem is that when they ask for help at home, they only get an embarrassed giggle and a…"I am thrilled that he stands with our president and hope that he has a long tenure in Congress!"