- “We are helping communities realize that racism affects us all. It’s not just people of color,” says Chanon Judson, associate artistic director for Urban Bush Women. “But we also push…The Nepali-American author reads from her new memoir Feb. 7 at Malaprop's.Poets are asked to submit work around the themes of sustainability, environmental awareness and/or reverence for nature.The local jazz quartet plays Isis Music Hall on Feb. 4.The members of local powerhouse indie-pop and soul band Hustle Souls are set to release their debut, full-length album, 'Colors.'Artists on the River Arts District building's second floor throw a party to encourage an early spring.The group exhibition on climate change opens Feb. 3 at Pink Dog Gallery.In this installment, Bertie has come to New York to dodge familial obligations back in England, but his desire to get away from it all comes crashing down when his…“If you have intensity, if you're producing original music that is really true to yourself, we'll back that all day long," says Asheville Rock Collective organizer John Kennedy.The Toronto-based electronic music trio perform at The Orange Peel on Feb. 1.
- Of the four key ingredients necessary to make beer, malted grain has long been the unsung hero. While brewers and consumers alike can be swayed by the sex appeal of…When the weather outside is frosty, simmering food on wood stoves or in slow cookers is a comforting option.Blue Ghost Brewing Co. brings back its Soup or Bowl soup-off and Chai Pani cooks up a pop-up while it closes for renovations. Also, check out some Super Bowl Sunday…
- The VA has undergone a paradigm shift in offering support for caregivers of veterans, whether they be family members, friends or neighbors. The caregiver support program takes aim at both…High levels of burnout occur in the nursing profession because of long hours coupled with physical and emotional distress. Workplace wellness programs help to prevent and diminish burnout.Medical caregiving brings with it a high risk of burnout. More than half of U.S. physicians experience substantial symptoms of burnout, according to a 2017 paper. The Western Carolina Medical…Life can change in an instant, when accidents or illnesses occur, often thrusting family members into a caregiving role. Although the stresses and problems are many, caregivers report the rewards…Growing vegetables in limited daylight and freezing temperatures is no picnic. But Asheville-area winter markets feature a surprising selection of fresh, locally grown produce, thanks to savvy farmers.
- Revolve host the Frame + Form Screen Dance Festival, the Fine Arts Theatre screens a documentary on Les Ballets Trockadero de Monte Carlo and more.
- In 1900, N.C. was set to vote on an amendment to its state constitution. Literacy tests were among the additions proposed. Illiterate white men, however, need not worry. This point…Buncombe County commissioners want to provide broader access to child care in Buncombe County. To that end, they gathered a braintrust of local education experts to explore obstacles to accessible…On Saturday, Feb. 3, historian Fitzhugh Brundage will participate in "Monumental Decisions: The Legacy and Future of Civil War Markers in our Public Spaces," a free community forum. The event…The Rotary Club of Asheville-Metro's fundraiser for Coins for Alzheimer's Research Trust and ABCCM's Veterans Restoration Quarters takes place Feb. 3 at the YMI Cultural Center.
- "I did get to pass on my thoughts about this and lobby again for homeless vets getting some of the spaces, especially in the RAD, which could be a large…"I know tourism is important to the local economy, but considering the low wages generated by tourism, I think City Council should do more to improve the lives of Asheville…ASHEVILLE"I strongly believe that there are many altruistic, spiritual and charitable people in the world who would consider helping spread the word or possibly even donating themselves.""I can only imagine how this glorification of gun fashion is being received by your teen and preteen readers.""It is too much: five years of this for nonwoven fabric for baby wipes."ASHEVILLE"We must first transform our culture to embrace the human side of medical providers, with all their vulnerabilities, and remember that physicians’ lives hold value and meaning separate from the…