- The Hendersonville native will discuss her debut novel in conversation with Jeremy Jones at Malaprop’s on Tuesday, Sept. 12.The Ghana-born, Denver-based drummer plays a free show at the Altamont on Sept. 11.If you’re in downtown Asheville on Saturday, Sept. 9, and see people dashing down the sidewalks in blue outfits and other formal attire, don’t be alarmed. These costumed folks are…The Friday, Sept. 8 show at The Mothlight was originally a favor to Spaceface, a band led by Seth Kauffman's friend Jake Ingalls of The Flaming Lips, though Ingalls later…The opening reception for Asheville Printmakers' exhibit is Sept. 9 at Asheville BookWorks Gallery.The list of participating writers is diverse and extensive, featuring local, national and international authors. These individuals range from award-winning poets and historians to first time novelists and cookbook authors.Tom Godleski's music-filled comedy returns to the Folk Art Center for four shows, Sept. 8 through 10.This production is designed to make audiences howl with laughter, and it more than delivers, including a curtain call with all seven actors racing in and out of doors, chasing…
- Although Western North Carolina's craft brewing industry has grown exponentially in the last decade, DWI arrests have decreased significantly.Owners of local breweries with multiple locations share their origin stories and compare the spaces.
Hungry for knowledge: WNC edible education programs cultivate relationships between students and foodFood and gardening classes can help children learn life skills, nourish creativity and connect to the natural world. But funding for these programs can be hard to come by.African and Caribbean flavors return to Pack Square Park during the Goombay Festival. Also: Catawba Brewing hosts Grill & Chill; Olivette Riverside Community and Farm hold a benefit dinner for…
- The ninth annual West Asheville Garden Stroll will lead visitors through 15 lovely green spaces on Sept. 9. This year's theme highlights the idea of "sanctuary."
- The Fairview Library teams with Audubon North Carolina to screen a locally-themed nature documentary, Asheville School of Film students premiere their short films, and more.
- After 45 years of service, the final seven street cars departed from Pritchard Park on Thursday, Sept. 6, 1934, heading toward West Asheville for one last ride.Buncombe County’s community grant program helps support nonprofits. Based on a nonprofit's focus and mission, county staff sets specific annual targets for its performance. But are the performance measures succeeding…Spanish architect and designer Rafael Guastavino left his mark at the Biltmore Estate and the Basilica of St. Lawrence in Asheville. His legacy can be explored at a new exhibit…On June 1, Duke Energy Progress filed a request with the N.C. Utilities Commission to raise rates an average of 14.9 percent. Xpress examines why Duke says it needs more…Contract negotiations between Mission Health and Blue Cross Blue Shield of North Carolina remain at an impasse as the renewal deadline looms in less than a month. Meanwhile, Park Ridge…Proceeds from The Collider's catered reception and screening of Dr. Jennifer Galvin's documentary on Saturday, Sept. 9 benefit the Thomas R. Karl Internship Program.
- "In that vein, here is my idea for the Vance Monument: Have a local sculptor create a giant hand at the base; fingers folded to create the impression that the…"She understands what has occurred and what kinds of economic and social steps can help Asheville move forward versus being static or moving backward.""Is it going to take someone being killed before we can get some relief from this problem?""It seemed that the whole world was at war, and the tiny river kingdom of Asheville was neither exempt from the traumatic effects nor absent in playing an important integral…"I have found him to be a person of high integrity, a willing listener, a thoughtful decision-maker and an inclusive leader.""Once we acknowledge that those back-of-house “dish-pit” employees are just as important (if not more) than the young and sprightly servers in the front of house, we can begin to…'I really want you to understand what the struggle really is here, and it lies solely on the business owners themselves not making a proper business plan that involves planning…Asheville, N.C.