- Crystal Cauley has scheduled a second Black Art & Craft Exhibition for Saturday, Aug. 10, at Emanuel's Corner in Hendersonville. It will showcase art and craft, highlight local African American…The Brooklyn-based stage magician performs at The Odditorium on Aug. 11.When Lewis started writing his own material, his take on the blues reflected the influence of the more modern styles that had informed his musical sensibility. The result was something…Asheville artist Elizabeth Albright's solo show opens Aug. 9 at ZaPow Gallery.A pop icon upends small-town sensibilities and stirs up some latent sexual tension in 1958.The Athens, Ga. hip-hop artist plays The Mothlight on Aug. 9.The 51 comedians who made the cut for the 2019 Asheville Comedy Festival, previously known as Laugh Your Asheville Off, will perform at three venues (Diana Wortham Theatre, Highland Brewing…The Asheville/Houston-based indie/noise rockers make their "local" debut Aug. 9 at Fleetwood's
- From 5-gallon plastic buckets to drinking straws, local restaurants look for ways to keep plastics and other materials out of the landfill.Traditional dry and sweet vermouths are only the beginning. While most vermouth is still made using neutral white wine as a base, some red wine-based varieties are gaining a foothold…Entering its fourth year, ASAP's Local Food Experience returns to New Belgium Brewing Co. on Thursday, Aug. 15 from 6-8:30 p.m. Also: Hole Doughnuts hosts book signing; Soverign Remedies teams…
- Armadillos were first seen in North Carolina in Macon County in 2007, and the first confirmed Buncombe County sighting took place in July 2014 near Leicester. Although urbanization and relocation…The drop-in event will offer information on everything from basic poultry care to homegrown food sources and keeping chickens for pest control.
- Asheville-based filmmaker Emma Keehan enjoys festival success while two actors with local ties appear in Quentin Tarantino's new movie.
- On Aug. 29, 1920, The Sunday Citizen asked readers, "Why should the city provide places in the streets for the prolonged parking of motors?" Responses to the question varied.“There’s not a simple solution,” says Sage Turner, who chairs both the Downtown Commission and its Parking and Transportation Committee. “The reality is, at peak hours when everyone wants to…In 1906, Asheville tried what it could to lure Champion Fibre Co. away from building its new plant in Canton, desperate to bring the company's 1,000 new jobs to the…ASHEVILLE, N.C.Canton is a mill town — and that’s just fine with residents, who embrace its industrial smells and sights as part of the town’s heritage and identity. As new transplants…ASHEVILLE, N.C.While the trust’s professional leadership remains under consideration, board chair Janice Brumit confirms that its board has filled out its inaugural complement of 14 members from WNC. After the nonprofit…The Tourism Development Authority discusses the proposed hotel moratorium during a July 31 board meeting.The board tagged a higher overall population, greater burdens associated with chronic health conditions and obesity, growing racial gaps in academic achievement, a rising jail population, loss of farmland, higher…The 10th Congressional District representative's constituents challenged him on issues including climate policy, Israel-U.S. relations and the behavior of President Donald Trump at his annual Buncombe County town hall on…
- "The city's policy of dumping leaves and other yard trash out of the plastic bags holding them and leaving the bags lying in the gutter is contributing to plastic ending…"Here’s a different idea: What if some [local] hotel owners, Airbnb owners and people with an extra bedroom or two decided to welcome a few families who are at the…"Imagine my delight to instead read an article encouraging the city of Asheville and its residents to support nursing moms in feeding their babies when and wherever they need!""Nothing like this, to my knowledge, has ever happened in the 20-plus years I’ve been walking dogs in Beverly Hills. So the incident is shocking."