- As it happens, the author has some things in common with the historic figures whose story she tells. Like Vanderbilt, Kiernan was born in New York City, and like the…Reflecting on his development between when he first wrote the songs on Under the Bridge and now, Stephen Evans says the years have mellowed his approach. “Fame isn’t really the…His tenure with the Asheville Symphony will conclude with the New Year’s Eve Gala. He conducts his final Masterworks concert — the season opener for the symphony’s 2017-18 season —…The celebration of Latin American culture takes place Sunday, Sept. 24, in downtown Hendersonville.As far as the hurricane that struck Houston last month, Franklin says that those in and around the group remained safe and accounted for. “Everyone’s been volunteering and — as…The Charlotte native and 'Mindy Project' cast member visits The Grey Eagle for 7 and 9:30 p.m. shows on Friday, Sept. 22, and Saturday, Sept. 23.The inaugural festival takes place Saturday, Sept. 23, at French Broad River Park.The beloved play runs through Sunday, Oct. 8 at North Carolina Stage Company.
- This year's festival expands onto Depot Street, adding tea vendors, yoga, cupping sessions and more.From Asheville to Sylva to Pisgah Forest, area brewery owners make the most of the natural and man-made scenery on their properties.With kitchen scraps, herbs, spices and inexpensive liquors, it's easy to adopt preservation methods used by Asheville bartenders to create flavored infusions for the home bar.The Church of the Advocate celebrates 20 years of service in Asheville. Also in this week's food news: a beer and pie pairing with Twin Leaf Brewery and Whisk AVL,…
- Grandfather Mountain lies along a major corridor for migrating raptors, which means that visitors to Linville Peak during September are likely to see tens, hundreds or even thousands of the…The fifth annual Root Ball takes place from 6:30 to 10 p.m. on Saturday, Sept. 23.
- Grail Moviehouse celebrates Art House Theater Day, Mechanical Eye brings video artist Madsen Minax to town and more.
- “Dr. Battle was more than a citizen of Asheville; he was an institution," wrote Asheville Times reporter James B. Caine in 1938. "He came here while this community was yet…Health and law enforcement officials in North Carolina are trying to deal with an epidemic of opioid addiction, and they’re moving away from criminal prosecution for substance use disorders. Instead,…Asheville, N.C.Asheville area artists credit television and social media with driving the industry’s growth, saying the ubiquity of body ink in today’s popular culture has made the practice more socially and…Many cultures around the world cultivate native, shade-loving plants beneath the forest canopy. Recently, more farmers in the United States have been getting excited about the potential of forest farming…Six candidates for Asheville City Council participated in a forum hosted by the Asheville chapter of the Democratic Socialists of America on Sept. 13. Hot topics included affordability and police…The sleepy resting place of Revolutionary War veteran Joshua Jones and his family turned uncharacteristically lively on Saturday, Sept. 7, as a memorial dedication ceremony hosted by Jones' direct descendants…
- "We need to actively support a clean, green energy grid — and only a clean, green energy grid — throughout our state and throughout the world.""I hope her family gets closure one day and her case is eventually solved and the culprit or culprits are found and punished accordingly.""She is a critical thinker and is willing to break problems down to look at the smallest details in order to find a solution.""Over the past year, I have come to realize that Vijay has both the experience and the drive necessary to address Asheville’s growth and development issues.""Because I vote for what candidates have done (their experience defines their qualifications) and not what they say they’re going to do, I’m voting for Dee Williams in the upcoming…"So why would I support a politician with whom I disagree so consistently? Frugality, passion and open-mindedness."Asheville, N.C."Conservatives' deflection to 'personal responsibility' is a cop-out that hides their lack of solutions to this issue.""Why does it seem to be so difficult to put a few fun, nonalcoholic drinks in the fridge?"