- Last year’s lineup brought in a greater number of Latino listeners, says Cori Anderson, assistant director of Cultural Events & Special Academic Programs at UNCA. That trend could continue, thanks…The free West Asheville music festival spans six stages and a range of genres, June 16-17.The June 16 Pack Square Park festival doubles as an album release show for Secret Agent 23 Skidoo.Asheville was a very different place in 1998: There was no Blue Ridge Pride and what LGBTQ community existed was not entirely out and loud, much less well-connected. Despite all…Performers at the Diana Wortham Theatre show on Friday, June 15, include Tyondai Braxton, Robert Aiki Aubrey Lowe, Bana Haffar, Meg Mulhearn and Moe Espinosa in his guise as Hypox1a.Liquid Sirens and fellow Christine Garvin Dance + Transform performers share their latest show June 15 and 16 at The Magnetic Theatre.The first installment in the 2018 Community Engagement Social series takes place June 14 at Pisgah View Apartments.
- Every year, MANNA FoodBank hosts a feast to fight famine with its annual Blue Jean Ball. Since 1983, the nonprofit has worked to involve, educate and unite people in the…To the uninitiated, gin is sometimes thought of as little more than juniper-flavored vodka. Local experts give some insight on the summery spirit's many variations and applications.Biltmore Coffee Roasters and Trout Lily Market & Deli join as one. Also: The Great American Jerk Off returns; Tod's Tasties hosts its annual Father's Day cookout; The Chop Shop…
- Local health and wellness news this week includes preparations for Our VOICE's upcoming Walk a Mile event and fundraiser, a workshop on end-of-life planning, a big donation to promote safety…From beans to squash, local experts talk about growing protein powerhouses in the home garden.
- Local teams compete in the 48 Hour Film Project, The Burger Bar kicks off a weekly horror film double feature series and more.
- In the immediate aftermath of the 1916 flood, the city of Asheville quickly united in its efforts to help rebuild and find temporary housing for those who lost their homes.…On Saturday, June 23, 30 local creative professionals will gather at Hatch AVL, volunteering their time, energy and expertise. And at the end of that very full day, each of…As of June 11, Buncombe County has $458.5 million in debt. Over half of that debt balance ― $270 million ― has paid for facilities for A-B Tech and the…While the flood’s immediate aftermath may negatively impact water quality and populations of aquatic life, research suggests that WNC’s watersheds readily recover from similar events over the long term. But…On Tuesday, June 19, Council will put the result of its planning process to the test as its members vote to adopt the proposed budget. The document must account for…Asheville Museum of Science's annual flagship fundraiser takes place June 14 at Highland Brewing Co.An indictment returned June 5 brings new charges against former Buncombe County Manager Wanda Greene and alleges that she used $2.3 million of county money to purchase life insurance policies…
- ASHEVILLE, NCASHEVILLE, NC"The most recent ploy to feed their addiction to power is that of spending state tax dollars to fund so-called pregnancy crisis centers that are in fact run by anti-choice…"It's time someone asked whether we get our money's worth from these corporate handouts.""Like others, I have been deeply offended by the heavy-handed manner in which our airport authority has coerced more people to park in the new parking deck: by closing off…