- The minute-long videos, which post on Instagram and YouTube weekly, now number in the 60s. But even though the one-year mark is well past, Reitzel promises to continue the project…The East End/Valley Street Community Heritage Festival offers a celebration specific to that section of town and its past and present inhabitants. Organizers will recognize the oldest living residents of…The inaugural hip-hop extravaganza takes place Aug. 24 at Paradox Nightclub.Store owners Mark Capon and Matt Schnable leaned more heavily on staff involvement in planning their latest festival, which resulted in such surprise bookings as ESG.The collaborative meditations on Lillith shares a bill with Okapi and Edwin Salas on Aug. 24 at BMCM+AC.As in 'Alice in Wonderland,' things aren’t always what they seem.The collaborative multimedia project between Liz Williams and Al Murray has an opening reception Aug. 23 at REVOLVE.The Asheville-based electronic rock quartet plays a record release show Aug. 23 at Isis.
- "I see a potential for these girls not just to get educated and inspired and leave, but to take that inspiration and figure out how to instill it in their…Owners of Green Man, Wedge and Whistle Hop discuss the new rule changes prior to their Sept. 1 implementation.Free meals and haircuts return to Sanctuary Brewing Co. Also: Ivory Road Cafe & Kitchen announces new dinner series; Chefs for Seniors launches in Buncombe County; Skybar announces its closing;…
- The new program will work with local farmers and landowners in an effort to develop hemp as viable crop for Western North Carolina.Fundraisers to support injured Hendersonville Fire Department Capt. Josh Poore abound, while Western Carolina presents a program exploring the connection between wilderness and wellness.
- Chicago-based filmmaker Peter Collins Campbell has launched a Kickstarter campaign to complete post-production on his Asheville-shot feature debut.
- n 1874, Zebulon Vance stood before the House of Representatives arguing against a bill that would outlaw racial discrimination in juries, schools, transportation and public accommodations. "Let the people of…ASHEVILLE, N.C.Local historian Jon Elliston’s latest talk, “WNC Declassified,” will feature accounts of Nazi sympathizers, FBI intrigue, espionage, nuclear war and the undoing of a presidency.ASHEVILLE, N.C.Interim Asheville City Schools Superintendent Bobbie Short is taking over — for the third time in six years — as the district struggles with extreme disparities in the academic performance…The $100,000 report, commissioned from Massachusetts-based consultants The Cadmus Group, finds that local government action will be insufficient for Asheville and Buncombe County to run operations entirely on renewable energy…
- "I wanted to simply echo the sentiments of Sherry Luft in her May 1 letter regarding the current state of movie reviews at Mountain Xpress ['Experienced Movie Critics Wanted'].""How about coming legally. That’s a term that the lefties want to ignore.""Write your senator to demand improvements in the ACA we depend upon.""You won’t see us at MAGA rallies, but we are deeply concerned about making America better.""Asheville is very lucky to have such a highly rated and respected VA, and we all owe them a tip of our various military service hats for their service to…"The recent scandals about misspent economic development funds show that the game was really to create a pool of funds, which certain officials could dip into to spend tax money…