- The North Carolina native will discuss her debut novel at Malaprop’s on Wednesday, Aug. 30.Asheville Outdoor Cinema joins Wedge Brewing Co., Movies in the Park and other local open air film screenings.The three-day celebration of the evolution of tango includes workshops, classes and dance parties. It takes place Friday, Aug. 25, through Sunday, Aug. 27, at West Asheville church-turned-event space Center…Electro-soul group RBTS WIN commemorates the release of its fourth album, Sensitivity Kit, with a performance at The Grey Eagle on Friday, Aug. 25. Hip-hop artist Foul Mouth Jerk drops…RiverLink’s annual day of food, music and fun takes place Saturday, Aug. 26, at 1 p.m.The Austin-based guitarist/vocalist plays Isis Music Hall on Friday, Aug. 25, at 9 p.m.Over the past year, that unique sound has led Durand Jones & The Indications to tour the country and perform gigs at festivals including South by Southwest and Voodoo Music…The Nashville power-punk duo return to The Odditorium on Thursday, Aug. 24, at 9 p.m.Proceeds from Deep River's 10th Asheville anniversary show on Aug. 26 at The Grey Eagle benefit the Asheville Humane Society.Under the stars feels right for such a show, making Montford Park Players' open air summer location a well-suited venue.
- UpCountry and Catawba cans incorporate the Brewers Association's “certified independent craft” seal and will soon be joined by multiple other local breweries.The challenges of finding and maintaining kitchen help are not new to Asheville's restaurant industry, but the problem seems to be growing for many local restaurateurs.Bacon is king at the fifth annual 105.9 the Mountain’s BaconFest Asheville. Also: Vegan Awareness Week begins Monday, Aug. 28, Slow Food Asheville holds a tomato tasting at The Wedge…
- A two-day conference Friday and Saturday, Sept. 14 and 15, in Mills River offers farmers an opportunity to take part in training on a wide range of topics. Sponsored by…This week, Xpress looks at the network of agencies and organizations working in Buncombe and Madison counties to improve water quality and position the French Broad as the region’s next…Ever since the 70s, with the publication of Our Bodies, Ourselves, women have been exploring and discussing their sexuality. Now a group of Asheville women has organized a group that…
- The Collider screens a documentary on North Carolina artist Thomas Sayre, Asheville School of Film offers a Super-8 filmmaking workshop and more.
- Third shift can be challenging to acclimate to — whether it’s learning to sleep during the day, finding a healthy work-family balance or forgoing the social components that are more…The FBI is investigating former Buncombe County Manager Wanda Greene, a story Xpress first broke on Aug. 16.
- "Substantive criticisms of biotechnology do exist, but for some reason, they almost never find their way into the mass media. The opposition only seems weak because its strongest arguments are…"I'd like to echo a request for more thorough and less academic reviews that are addressed to those of us in the Asheville area who look forward to getting some…"Two male film critics joined by a third. Color me dismayed.""These guys clearly know their stuff. I appreciate their reviews, but then I have learned to appreciate my way through life, because it is ever so much more enjoyable when…"Proper oral health for all shouldn’t be seen as something only in a perfect world. We should fight for it, for our neighbors, our elderly, our youth, for everyone who…"If you want to make downtown’s grating, gravel Pit of Despair into a pinnacle of pastoral park pleasure, vote for Cecil Bothwell for Asheville City [Council].""Dee Williams supports sustainable policies for all the people of Asheville, such as a living-wage minimum and affordable housing.""Recently released and already delivered for your viewing pleasure is a new "stealth thriller" — your 2017-18 property tax bill.""I believe the euphemism I’m looking for is, 'Are you kidding me right now?' An Asheville rental at $3,160?""When police corral protesters behind their lines and cars, they are saying to the flag-waving, overly compensating, engine-revers that the protesters are the problem, to be caged in. They give…" I think we should put out a request for proposals from artists and community members, and create a panel of local activists, artists and historians to assess them. Get…"'We need to recognize that each of us, in our own small way, are makers of our culture,'" Boswell wrote then. "'We can exercise that function best by expressing our…