- Artists who show up on a regular basis have the opportunity to sell their creations at the Mending Art showcases and keep 100 percent of the profits.Friends and band mates encouraged Ryan RnB Barber. “They told me, ‘People really need to hear your type of r&b and hip-hop funk right now,’” he says.The improvisational jazz ensemble stops by The Mothlight on April 17.The acclaimed soul singer performs at Thomas Wolfe Auditorium on April 15.The prolific Asheville hip-hop duo celebrates its latest collaboration with an April 12 show at The Mothlight.Four accomplished comics — two from Western North Carolina and two based in Colorado — bravely bring their humorous stand-up to The Magnetic Theatre.The photo essay exhibit of seemingly healthy women secretly battling chronic pain opens April 13 at The Block Off Biltmore.Like all great children's classics, it's wise nonsense for audiences of all ages.The Asheville rockers debut new tunes and team with Andrew Scotchie & the River Rats for a Fleetwood Mac tribute on April 12 at Salvage Station.
- The liquor distilled from blue agave has a rich history, and aficionados would argue that the best tequilas rival the quality of high-end European brandies.Enthusiasts say milk that hasn’t been pasteurized contains more nutrients; opponents say it may contain dangerous germs. Although it's currently illegal in North Carolina to purchase raw milk for human…Opinions vary on whether Asheville has too many breweries or if the local industry can sustain more.AVL Cake Lady opens on New Leicester Highway. Also: Sawhorse launches its French Canadian cuisine menu; Early Girl Eatery hosts a weekly pop-up market; and more.
- Since 2010, when Hewitt made the first loan to a friend who needed help expanding her small Greek restaurant, Slow Money NC has catalyzed over 300 loans totaling about $4…Beekeepers in the United States experienced an estimated 40 percent loss in their colonies between April 2017 and April 2018, and last year, North Carolina's honeybee population experienced a 50…
- Submissions are being accepted for the inaugural Asheville Comedy Short Film Competition.
- On Feb. 15, 1925, The Asheville Citizen proclaimed that Swannanoa had entered “the first stages of a boom."A few summers ago, Laszlo told his parents, Thomas Stern and Laura Gazzano, that he wanted to set up a stand to sell cucumbers in their driveway. Now 8 years…Local divisions of the N.C. Department of Transportation won recognition in the state's annual Wildflower Awards, while the city of Asheville studies noise and the Buncombe Partnership for Children deploys…“The youngest generation … they are particularly focused on climate change,” says Ashley McDermott, one of the founding members of Sunrise's Asheville chapter. “They’re the ones who have this emotional…“With charged biochar, you’re building a better biome for the plant, permanently changing soil’s ability to hold nutrients, water and beneficial biology,” Nilsson says. “You can buy a carbon-sequestering tomato…“Beacon was Swannanoa," says Anne Chesky Smith, director of Swannanoa Valley Museum & History Center. "Everything that was in Swannanoa was entangled in Beacon,The annual Asheville Wordfest, which takes place April 12-14, promises to bring three days of Appalachia-focused workshops and readings by area writers, readers and thinkers.In this week's business briefs, local businesses make new hires, celebrate new locations and anniversaries and more.Commissioners unanimously agreed Tuesday to enter into a modified economic development agreement with Linamar, which the county believes will enable the business to meet its targets by 2024.“I don’t know how to stretch $230,000 into three-quarters of a million. I just don’t know how to do it. Maybe if I had Jesus here with the fish, and…The Buncombe County Board of Commissioners unanimously approved a zoning amendment that allows manufactured homes in more county residential districts.Over the next few days, said Water Resources Director David Melton, customers may need to flush their water lines and hot water heaters to clear residual sediment. He said that…
- "Our local West Village Market & Deli, also on Haywood, offers a myriad of organic, local and non-GMO products, and has a cafe that reflects those values.""Due to the large, devoted dog-owning population in Asheville, it is important that owners are aware of an alarming health trend.""Let’s work together to show the world that Asheville truly is the Climate City!"ASHEVILLE, N.C.ASHEVILLE, N.C."The way Asheville on Bikes and Blue Ridge Bicycle Club see it, the more people on the road, the more people need safety education."