- Warren Wilson College’s Master of Arts in Craft Studies is expected to launch in the summer of 2018. When it does, it will join the MFA Program for Writers as…American Craft Week goes week beyond the virtual world, offering special exhibitions, gallery openings, demonstrations, workshops, sales, fairs and more.It’s the season of change for two of Western North Carolina’s craft institutions. In May, John C. Campbell Folk School in Brasstown named Jerry Jackson as its new executive director.…Amy Reed hopes readers will be inspired by the Nowhere Girls’ self-discovery, by their creation of community, and by the way the two processes work together. “The girls of the…Through exploring the role of art and aesthetics in social activism, the Radical Beauty conference — a new event hosted by the Montreat Conference Center from Monday, Oct. 9 through…Not surprisingly, Russ Wilson has his own opinion as to why big band jazz has endured. “For lack of a better term, it appeals to the masses,” he says. “Besides…Alabama Shakes' Brittany Howard teams with Nashville singer-songwriters Jesse Lafser and Becca Mancari for a Sunday, Oct. 8, show at The Orange Peel.Today, the cooperative includes around 300 members. Applicants go through a jury process and must show documentation of belonging to the Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians. Once in, those artists…The local singer-songwriter swaps songs with Chuck Brodsky and Jonathan Byrd on Saturday, Oct. 7 at White Horse Black Mountain.The inaugural two-day music festival is set for Oct. 7-8 at Pisgah Brewing Co.The “Hey Asheville” pop-up show runs Oct. 2-8 at Horse + Hero with an artist reception Oct. 6.This production, illuminated by prismatic light, is staged beautifully in the round. The direction by Steve Lloyd is marvelously attentive with gorgeous costumes by Julie Kinter that are reflective of…
- The high-fat, low-carbohydrate nutrition plan is gaining traction as a weight-loss tactic and a means of coping with certain health issues. Local experts say the diet works well for some…Asheville coffee shops feature fall-flavored beverages that will make you forget about pumpkin spice.While the recent passage of SB-155 was widely celebrated, skeptics have wondered just how much stimulus two hours of morning alcohol sales would provide for an already booming industry.Metro Wines teams up with Rezaz and local cookbook authors for a vegan-based wine pairing dinner. Also, Living Web Farms and the French Broad Food Co-op host Fermentation Show and…
- From lessening pain to lowering blood pressure, one of the best ways to heal may be through the healing power of love, experts say.
- Local filmmaker Andrew Shearer competes to have the Duplass brothers executive produce his film, Cat Fly hosts a Halloween film festival at Upcountry Brewing and more.
- October was a significant month in writer Thomas Wolfe’s life. The Asheville native was born Oct. 3, 1900. Decades later, his first novel, Look Homeward, Angel came out on Oct.…Hydroponics is taking off around the globe, the country and in Western North Carolina. But it’s not just backyard gardeners who want to reap hydroponics’ impressive list of benefits, which…Community and business representatives from across the rail industry gathered in Asheville on Sept. 22 for the Railroads & Regional Economic Development Conference. Organized by the WNC Rail Committee, the…The third annual conference, “Bringing it Home: Building a Local Economy for Everyone,” will take place on Oct. 7 at the YMI Cultural Center in downtown Asheville.The full day of outdoor adventure activities takes place from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Oct. 7 at Evergreen Community Charter School.
- "Based on Donald Trump's recent statements to North Korea and Kim Jong Un's replies, I, once again, ask the mayor and City Council to begin making preparations for what seems…"I just wanted to reach out and express my deepest sympathy for the poor woman who is forced to navigate the vicious sea of Asheville fine dining establishments and posh…“Health Care for All — A Moral Obligation?” a faith-based symposium hosted by Health Care for All — WNC, will be held at the First Baptist Church of Asheville on…Asheville, N.C."In the past half decade, residents of Asheville have seen their little city transformed — and not in a good way — by seemingly unregulated development, which the present City…"In three years of watching Asheville politics — and Cecil — I’ve come to appreciate him as a smart, creative and sometimes cantankerous asset, deeply committed to our city.""Adrian will give you the straight talk, even at the risk of disappointing you. He does not have a partisan ax to grind; he seeks only feasible solutions."Asheville, N.C."It has been an honor serving with Cecil Bothwell on Asheville City Council. I know that he will always fight for fairness and equality for our citizens.""No other candidate combines Jeremy’s expertise in land use and urban planning; his experience in starting and growing a small business in Asheville; and his civic leadership experience.""Thanks for helping to make our streets safe for commuters both young and old! We'll see you out on Haywood Road, Wednesday, Oct. 4. "