- She'll launch the book at Malaprop's on Wednesday, Nov. 7.Eric Baden saw the opportunity to “take another issue of urgency, which has to do with care for the environment,” he says, “and the fact that, just like Asheville has…Girlpool plays The Grey Eagle Sunday, Nov. 4.The town of Dillsboro hosts the 14th annual celebration on Nov. 3.Extraordinary entertainment aside, “It’s the sense of camaraderie and inclusion that truly sets this pageant apart,” says last year’s winner, Dorae Saunders.The North Carolina Storytelling Guild’s annual event takes place Nov. 3 at the Henderson County Library.Both shows are decidedly darker and edgier than one would expect from HCT, and the theater company deserve credit for going out on a limb.Immediate Theatre Project presents a collection of classic American horror stories on Nov. 1 at Isis Music Hall.The Asheville-based avant-garde chamber duo plays an album release show on Nov. 1 at Revolve.
- Local bartenders dispel myths about the legendary "green fairy."A new youth culinary training program pairs teens with top local chefs for training that culminates with a cooking competition.District Wine Bar hosts a paella and Spanish wine fundraiser for Asheville Music School. Also in this week's Asheville food news, GO Kitchen Ready students present their Showcase Dinner, the…
- The Hope Chest for Women connects those struggling with breast and gynecological cancer to community resources. The nonprofit provides funds for vitamins, medications, utility payments, specialized medical supplies, co-pays and…
- The Asheville Film Society screens "The Great Dictator" at the Fine Arts Theatre, Mountain Marquee opens in Marion and more.
- Whatever the outcome of the Tuesday, Nov. 6, general election, advocates with Women AdvaNCe, a nonpartisan education institute, aim to energize politically-engaged women during the all-day Women Moving Mountains summit…From a career expo to an annual event that honors women business leaders, there's a lot going on in the Asheville business world this fall.A new Asheville Area Habitat for Humanity development in Candler will mark the organization's first foray into constructing multifamily homes. The move is necessary, the nonprofit says, to meet the…The new facility's planned retirement is in 2059 — 17 years after Buncombe County government’s 2042 goal of transitioning all homes and businesses to completely renewable energy. Jason Walls, Duke…A second campus of the N.C. School of Science and Math is on tap for 2021 in Morganton, and fundraising is underway to assemble the final pieces of the puzzle…In October 1918, in the midst of a worldwide influenza pandemic, Asheville residents opted to wear medical masks as opposed to Halloween costumes.Rick Daniels, representing Mission, and Sean Devereux, a lawyer for the neighborhood, announced after a lengthy recess that the two parties would continue negotiations outside the appeals board process. However,…After Mayor Esther Manheimer and Council members Keith Young and Brian Haynes shared their intent to reject the project, attorney Wyatt Stevens pulled the building from consideration on behalf of…
- "Has it ever occurred to Anthony E. Ponder that the dwindling membership in service organizations has to do with disinterest and apathy on the part of males and their participation,…"These and many other reasons speak against plain going vegan and feeling great about it; it speaks for education, and mostly it speaks for going local.""We need to vote our Republican friends away from the table for a while in order to stop this slid into despotism.""Because of these and many more of Mark Meadows’ positions that my wife and I disagree with, we are actively supporting the alternative for the 11th Congressional District, Democrat Phillip…"His records show consistent support for extreme legislation and nullifying of standards that have been put in place to protect the environment and our public health and safety.""N.C. 11 must elect Phillip Price and other Democrats as a check on presidential power before Trump does any more damage to our great nation.""In my opinion, Quentin Miller has those qualifications — an easy, balanced demeanor backed up with years of experience in the profession.""Either 'it’s not broke, so don’t fix it' (the hunting/fishing amendment); 'it’ll make things worse while not fixing what’s wrong' (the victims' rights amendment); or 'it’s destroying our balanced government'…"You can be sure the Republicans are pouring millions into stopping her so they can continue to take away voting rights, due-process rights, the rights of municipalities to prohibit discrimination,…"We do recall him voting for the doomed American Health Care Act and then crying crocodile tears about not having known of the impact it would have on poor and…"He is a well-respected, successful business owner and has been for a big part of his life."