- “I’ve always felt like it’s important to use this platform for good,” says producer Madame Onça. “This is social justice wrapped up as a party."The “California roots orchestra” plays The Grey Eagle on Feb. 9.“Really digging into the collaborative process, I learned how a song touched by different hands becomes this really cool thing,” AJ Haynes says. “It doesn’t detract from its uniqueness.”Devils in Dust, Rebecca and the Reckoning and Tim McWilliams pay tribute to country music legends, Feb. 9 at Isis.The author will present her book and give a lecture at Asheville Raven & Crone on Friday, Feb. 7.Omileye Achikeobi-Lewis' exhibition has an opening reception Feb. 8 at The BLOCK off Biltmore.The comedian, science podcaster and psychedelic advocate brings a pair of shows to the Funkatorium on Feb. 6.
- Over the past decade, a small but dedicated scene has developed around Western North Carolina's kava and kratom bars.With Valentine’s Day around the corner, French Broad Food Co-op is hosting its latest workshop focused on aphrodisiacs. Also: Asheville Mardi Gras celebrates its latest Cajun Cookoff; Green Opportunities announces…
- “If you’re in a relationship, and one of you has an apartment downtown and one has a house in West Asheville, that sounds pretty perfect to me,” says Henry, who's…While some might find the notion morbid, author and activist Patti Digh says contemplating life as if it had a rapidly approaching expiration date actually reminds her to take care…Far from simply providing instructions on Kegel exercises, sexual health professionals collaborate with patients on a wide range of topics — from the physical to the emotional, the sociocultural to…After spending much of her working life as a consultant for Fortune 500 companies, Asheville career coach and entrepreneur Laura Juarez says that taking time to relax, unwind and detach…ASHEVILLE, N.C.For more than a decade, Jeanne Sommer of Hidden River Events has been hosting and presiding over same-sex partnership ceremonies on her farm in Swannanoa. “It doesn’t matter if it’s…
- The Dr. Wesley Grant Sr. Southside Center plays host to a screening of "Selma" and a community discussion, Frank Thompson records a notable film commentary and more.
- ASHEVILLE, N.C.“To what extent can sex instruction be given in the public schools?” The Asheville Gazette-News wrote on Sept. 29, 1913. According to the paper, a recent report by the United…“The loss of life and damage caused by current global warming demonstrates that the Earth is already too hot for safety,” states the document approved by a 6-0 vote of…Representatives from the Urban Land Institute shared their recommendations during a Jan. 30 community meeting to aim to help city officials manage hotel development in wake of the one-year hotel…Under language proposed by the N.C. Federation of Republican Men, Buncombe County would commit to using “all legal means necessary” to protect its citizens’ access to firearms. Additionally, county officials…As presidential hopefuls blitz the airwaves over the coming months to hook undecided voters, the Buncombe County Tourism Development Authority will be stepping up its own campaign. The authority’s board…Some Council members were ready to put the peddle to the metal in the search for new transit system funding on Jan. 28. Not so Council member Vijay Kapoor, who…
- "We are throwing trash out our windows; the trash is going in streams, which goes in a river and then the ocean. It kills turtles, dolphins, fish, seals and seabirds.""This winter, Duke Energy Carolinas is asking state utility regulators to approve a rate increase that could cost us much more starting this summer.""Beyond Terry promoting land preservation and conservation stewardship, she has helped in securing broadband internet access, community programs and rural economic development.""He added, 'Patriotism is doing right by your neighbors. Join the PTA, volunteer to help others, support your community, your place of worship.'""Sleepy Gap can be renamed 'Wake & Quake' Gap because we have new neighbors. and they can afford to violently rearrange the cliffs of Walnut Cove for a house with…"My greater point is this: If Webster’s definition of conservatism was in reality what Mr. Mumpower and his far-right-leaning friends were adhering to, we would all be living in a…"She has worked tirelessly for our Sandy Mush community, helping to bring sorely needed access to high-speed internet to our rural valley and to honor and promote our agricultural heritage.""Still, The New York Times reports that the whipping-up of concerns about 5G is the product of a targeted Russian disinformation campaign."